#13 Orazio Fantasia - his surname is pronounced “injured”

He’s my favourite, but that’s because I do supporting right.

3 Likes

The bloke has sooo many stings to his bow. He is pure talent + has the desire to be the best he can be. Playing him off half back (2015 rnd 22 against the Pies - smashed it) or through the midfield or up forward - he’s a match winner. Having him spend more time in the midfield this year is going to be dynamic. Another piece of the ever expanding depth Essendon are building in the guts.

2 Likes

There’s absolutely no doubt he is an exceptional small forward. Thing is he could just as easily be a wingman who averages high twenties and rips sides to shreds. He plays a one two by hand better than anyone on the list. I’d like to think he could be both and still kick 30 + a year.

5 Likes

Finding the right balance of mid/fwd time for Smith, tippa, Fanta and even Zaha is going to be one of the really interesting side shows this year

6 Likes

Y’know…if he ends up kicking 5-600 goals as a small forward and plays bugger-all midfield, I’d be kind of okay with that.

7 Likes

Agree completely. He’s extremely underrated as a midfielder. There were a lot of games in the last two years where we’ve been struggling in the middle and then turned it around after he was sent to a wing.

I see him as your (vintage) Steve Johnson type - the explosive midfielder who also kicks 35 odd goals a year. I think he’d be more valuable in that role than kicking 45-50 a year as a small forward.

I remember thinking this about Z Merrett.

I was wrong.

You should go back in time and slap yourself, then.
Zerrett was the midfieldiest midfielder that ever midfielded before he’d even played a senior game.

1 Like

Crystal ball

Out of stringer, smith, walla & raz. What’s the order of total goals and fwd/mid percentage in your opinion?

Thinking more Mercuri pre family tragedy

Goals

Fanta
Stringer
Tippa
Smith

Midfield time

Smith
Fanta
Stringer
Tippa

I can certainly understand that sentiment. I guess the modern game requires most small forwards to push all the way to half back so it’s probably a moot discussion anyway.

A hashtag genius who turns it over under absolutely zero pressure by trying a hashtag genius party trick kick?

1 Like

Probably.
I might be thinking of ten years ago.
But who knows, the game will probably change again during his career.

1 Like

THE J CURVE

1 Like

Definitely should be used in the same mould as Robbie Gray.

Has exceptional skills all over the ground. Give him midfield minutes, but he’ll still kick 40 for us every year.

5 Likes

I don’t know why but he reminds me a lot of a young Tim Cahill.

-Loves to talk the talk, Then backs it up.
-In the games he’s gone quiet he often steps up when we need him most.
-Scores goals Out of nowhere.
-He wants the responsibility to kick the important goals.

1 Like

I’m almost 100% with you there.

The only place I deviate from blitz consensus is Fantasia playing big midfield minutes.

I think 80/20 forward is about right. He has a unique gift in the fwd 50. No matter the talent of Zerrett, parish, McGrath etc none of them has his raw inside 50 talent. In my opinion you don’t move those players outside the 50 lightly.

You could say the same about stringer as well. I wouldn’t move him lightly. We are actually just Damn desperate for bigger bodies…

5 Likes

Based on how he didn’t play midfield in 18s? Or how he played half forward with us in his first year?

2 Likes

Based on his ground ball skills and poise at training.
I don’t know how anyone could have taken a single look at him and thought, ‘small forward.’
No offence.

1 Like