#14. Ashby

Thoughts?

Some blitzers have like what they've seen. Some commentators have mentioned that he has gone OK but to me he just doesn't look ready. That's not to say he can't play, but I just think in a side yesterday where we had Gleeson, Colyer, Jetta and Ashby (and DVU in the back half) all at stages where they are just trying to perform for themselves that it's too many to have who are just trying to keep their head above water. What we were left with was a performance from Gleeson and the other 3 offering little contribution, which is not enough to stay with a side like Freo and meant we were reamed through the midfield. And I understand that we didn't have much alternative given the injuries we have.

On this kid, do we like him? To the VFL watchers, has he been a stand out?

Whats the situation with Jason’s injury at the moment? Does anyone know how far away he is?
I’m a big fan of this guy has heart and some aggro which we are lacking in the seniors atm

There's something to work with there IMO, but as you say just isn't ready for the pace of the game yet, even against Carlton.

has done alright, hasn't stood out yet though, plenty to work with, too early to make a call either way on what we have seen to date.

Hates umpires. A+

Has done a few nice things but probably needs a a bit more time to mature and develop his game.

Bit more bulk and experience and he could crack the first team.

Gave it to Marc Murphy in his first game. 10/10

He doesn't have a skill that really stands out, finds the footy ok, kicks it ok, goes hard enough without going too hard, speed is again ok. No x-factor

Really he is just a solid footballer, maybe has ta greatt IQ for the game....not sure what position he will fill in the future...

We (footy fans) are far to quick to make judgements on kids. I understand the OP was not intended to write him off, but it really comes back to Bomber Thompson's old mantra: You've got to get them to 30 - 50 games as quickly as possible to see what they can do. The last thing we want is St Kilda under Lyon or even Carlton recently who thought they were close and haven't given their youngsters enough of a go.

I'm OK with Thompson giving kids a game this year even if they might not be completely ready. I'm not a fan at all of selection merry-go-round where kids are in one week and out the next (HI Knights!). At least give them 2 - 3 weeks at AFL level so they have time to settle without worrying if they will be dropped next week. The give them some specific things to work on back in the VFL before bringing them back up again.

On Ashby specifically, obviously when you compare him to other debutants this year - particularly Gleeson and Ambrose - he hasn't stood out as much, but that's ok. He's only played two games. I would say he doesn't look as though he has been overawed which is a good sign. The same could probably be said of all our debutants and I think that is testament to how good a coach Bomber is. I think against Freo it was very, very tough conditions and even our seasoned veterans were down on output and were panicky under pressure, so it's very harsh to judge him under those conditions. I'd be happy to see him play 1 more against the Saints and then go back to the VFL for a few weeks.

I try to stay away from any negative comments about any Essendon player, as I find it really distasteful some of the stuff that gets posted, but personally I would prefer Ashby in the team ahead of Jetta or Colyer. I'll leave it at that.

He looks like he could develop into a Marty Gleeson type player. Obviously that's a high standard, but he's got the attributes to work with. Needs to lose about 10kgs first.

Good hair.

Great hair. Look out, Goddard.

He doesn't have a skill that really stands out, finds the footy ok, kicks it ok, goes hard enough without going too hard, speed is again ok. No x-factor
Really he is just a solid footballer, maybe has ta greatt IQ for the game....not sure what position he will fill in the future...

Reminds me of a Andrew Mackie in that he doesn't necessarily have a huge weapon/weapons but just does a lot of things well without being outstanding at anything imparticular.

Again it’s really harsh to judge from his second game.

But…he was really poor I thought, gave up the ball too easily and was beaten in far too many contests. He seems to know where to go to get the ball and may have a bright future, but at the moment he is quite a fair way from being AFL ready. Good luck to him.

He's been solid, nothing much to complain about. Expect now he's got a couple of games under his belt he'll go back to the VFL shortly. It's all about getting game time into the youngsters, and I expect to see a rotating crop of them through the seniors for that reason. That's a good idea - should have done more of it in recent years - but I'm wary of playing too many fringe players at the one time. I think we got exposed for it a bit yesterday.

Back to Ashby, I've seen enough to think he might easily become a regular with experience, confidence and a bit more bulk. Not every player has to have an x factor, you need your share of solid citizens, and I think he might be one.

And the lip he gave to Murphy - earns a lot of credit right there.

Like what I've seen so far. Obviously he has made mistakes and isn't ready for regular AFL be he definitely looks to have something to work with. Reckon he could develop into one of those really solid players who goes unappreciated by opposition supporters because they just go about their job with quiet confidence.

Reminds me of a Andrew Mackie in that he doesn't necessarily have a huge weapon/weapons but just does a lot of things well without being outstanding at anything imparticular.

thats selling mackie short, AA last year, is the best rebound defender in the game right now imo. He sets up so many forward attacks

thats selling mackie short, AA last year, is the best rebound defender in the game right now imo. He sets up so many forward attacks

Don't get me wrong, Mackie is a great player in his own right.
But the comparison comes from the fact that Mackie isn't extraordinary at anything imparticular.
Does he have a elite speed and agility? No. Does he have laser like disposal like Suckling or Pendlebury? No. Does he have excellent dukes like a Hooker or Riewoldt? No (Nick). This isn't to say he is rubbish in his own right in any of these areas because he isn't.
In my opinion he is a great player because he isn't ordinary in any one area.
He has decent speed, he is a great decision maker and a good kick, he has an above average mark and has good strength for his size.
It is hard to explain.
If you are a fan of the NBA I would compare him to Darren Collison.
He is good player, but isn't an absolute star at a particular aspect of his game.
I know you could call me crazy or outright stupid but as I said, it is hard to explain.

Seen enough. Will be ok. Surprised by his aggression.

There's something to work with there IMO, but as you say just isn't ready for the pace of the game yet, even against Carlton.

I thought he was OK, albeit quiet, against Carlton.