#14 Jordan Ridley -- ADDITIONAL 3 YEARS (till 2029)

A jarred knee is painful … thats all. I doubt the thigh strain was due to the jarred knee. Sometimes ■■■■ happens

Im no doctor, or coach

But I reckon it would have been a smart decision to give rids 2 weeks off after that hyper extension for it to settle down, then he’s back in for the last month of footy, and not out for the year

I mean, its not like our medical team have given us any reason to have any faith in them

7 Likes

Weren’t the knee injury and quad strain on different legs?

14 Likes

Yes. Quad strain on the right and he hyperextended the left knee. I’m not sure there’s as clear a connection between the two injuries as some on here think

2 Likes

Sorry this is old, but just saw this.

ACL most commonly occurs one of 3 ways. Most prevalent being pivoting and knee collapses inwards, 2nd is hyperextension of the knee, 3rd being knee going outwards.

2 Likes

I’ve been a rusted-on supporter of this guy ever since I saw him make his VFL debut at Windy Hill back in 2017, and just wanted to give a shoutout for his outstanding season. He can kick, he can run, he can mark, he’s composed, he’s got a bit of versatility and he’s regularly taken on and beaten good opponents. But most impressively this year, his form, which was already very good, seemed to get even better after the bye despite the team performance turning to absolute crap. I’ve said it before that I think he could be the best defender in the competition. Really looking forward to him coming back, hopefully with improved defensive systems and effort in other parts of the ground, to lead the defence in 2024…

10 Likes

Defence looks pretty lost without him tbh, miss him sorely whenever he’s not around

3 Likes

Agreed.
Close to our best player in my opinion

3 Likes

He’s so calm under pressure.

1 Like

He is the anti Essington.

1 Like

Bumpity bump …

Hopefully a big big year for Rids now McKay is here and presumably taking over at FB, or at least taking one of the big oppo KPF. Easing some of the pressure on him and he could have a stellar year as a result.

But in thinking, if this season Reid comes good, McKay works out and we’ve suddenly got a good backline come the bye, I’d love to see Jordan used like Hooker was and swing forward now and then. He’s a decent kick and reckon he’d be a good target man in case e.g. when Harry, Weid and 2MP struggle to impact / are injured. And let’s face it that might happen at times given 2023.

Aside from Zach for me Jordan Ridley is our next MVP… And I’m so looking forward to next season and JR dominating once again for the Bombers.

3 Likes

EFC just posted draft year pics.

He was tiiiiiiiny!!

7 Likes

Oh so we do develop skinny kids!

What ya know!

4 Likes

If I recall, he did suffer the essential Essington tall injury of a stress fracture of the back.

I do hope we have learned something with our strength and conditioning, so we don’t continue to break our young players….

Deeply concerned for caddy.

1 Like

Ridley lauds ‘great attitude’ in Bombers group

Dons upbeat in solid pre-season.

By Blake Gaffiero - Essendon FC

In the thick of his eighth pre-season with the Bombers, Jordan Ridley’s aware of the work required to keep taking the next steps.

The 25-year-old is among a core contingent of young Bombers leading the side’s development under Senior Coach Brad Scott through a rigorous pre-season.

While the pre-season slog never gets any easier, Ridley has been impressed by the group’s willingness to take on the challenge and stay grounded.

“I wouldn’t say any pre-season I’ve done thus far has been easy, but this one’s been pretty hard. The group have come in with a great attitude and are really enjoying it, it’s been a lot of fun,” Ridley said.

“It’s always hard to judge (expectations) at this point of the year before we’ve gotten into games. There’s definitely an opportunity for us to get it clicking but we’ve got to go and take it, it won’t just come to us.”

Ridley has been a beacon of consistency since establishing his place in the Bombers’ line-up through a breakout 2020 season, utilised both as an interceptor and man-on-man defender.

His untimely omission through injury in the back end of the 2023 season was a tough blow for the Dons, but with a healthy run at pre-season and the arrival of key defender Ben McKay via free agency, Ridley is enticed by the emerging depth of the side’s defence.

“It’s a really exciting period for the defensive group. Ben (McKay) is obviously very capable and has shown that he can play at a really high level, he’ll bring some valuable experience for us and be a key pillar within that back six,” Ridley said.

“There’ll be potential for me (to roam in defence), but there will certainly still be times where I have to take on a bigger body anyway. I don’t think my role will change a heap, but the most important thing is I’m looking forward to playing my part in this group.”

An important point for the Bombers’ backs has been the line coaching of Ben Jacobs, who along with new faces such as David Rath have been firm in laying foundations for the group to build on.

With competitive gameplay just six weeks away, Ridley and the Bombers have their sights set on the challenges ahead.

“’Benny’ Jacobs has been super for us, he has a really good grasp on the way that we want to play and the way he portrays his messages is really clear. I’ve loved working with him and going forward it’ll be great to keep building that chemistry with backs playing under him,” Ridley said.

“The main messaging post-Christmas was just to prepare ourselves in a way that allowed us to hit the ground running straight away, we didn’t want to lose any time or work on areas that weren’t necessary. We want to be ready for when we hit match play and the footy-specific stuff.”

9 Likes

Dodo special !

Extension until 2029.

Must be a sucker for punishment.

4 Likes

Extended to 2029.

There must be some shuffling of the books going on. Langford and Ridley.

1 Like

Defender Jordan Ridley has secured his future with the Bombers, putting pen to paper on a three-year contract extension to see him through until the end of 2029.

Ridley was already signed to the club until 2026, but as a sign of his loyalty to the red and black, he has extended for three more years.

The news continues an exciting group of re-signings for the Bombers, with forward Kyle Langford and emerging midfielder Elijah Tsatas recommitting to the club in the past fortnight.

Ridley said he was excited to lock away the new deal and extend his commitment to the club.

“I’m really excited but also very proud to have the opportunity to play for such a great club for such a long time,”

“Firstly, I can’t go past the teammates I have here. I’ve got a lot of really strong relationships here at the club, making it really special to play alongside them.

"It gives me a lot of confidence in where the club is heading with the likes of Zach (Merrett), Ben (McKay), Darcy (Parish) and Mason (Redman) signing on, so I’m really looking forward to playing with them for many years to come. Having ‘Scotty’ (Brad Scott) come in and see how he has led the team has definitely impacted my decision to extend.

“Looking at clubs like Geelong and Sydney and their sustained success is something I want to achieve with this club.”

Ridley has enjoyed a stellar run in the Bombers’ defence since his breakout 2020 season, where he became the least experienced Crichton Medallist in more than 70 years, winning the club’s top honour after just 26 career games.

A composed operator in the back six, Ridley was named in the AFLPA 22under22 team in back-to-back years in 2020 and 2021, showcasing his versatility by locking down key forwards when required and distributing the ball well in transition.

The 25-year-old’s consistency has been a key factor for the Bombers in recent seasons, highlighted by three consecutive top-five finishes in the Crichton Medal between 2021-23, even after missing five games through injury last season.

General Manager of AFL Daniel McPherson said the extension reflected Ridley’s dedication to the red and black.

“Jordan has become an incredibly influential player for us in recent seasons, and has emerged as an important leader amongst the playing group, both on and off the field. He is the ultimate professional, highly regarded and well respected by his teammates, and will play a key role in shaping and driving the team culture and environment we are building at Essendon,” McPherson said.

“Despite an already impressive football resume, at just 25, we believe that Jordan’s best football is well and truly ahead of him.

“We are delighted he has chosen to extend his contract and remain with the Essendon Football Club until the end of 2029. It is a significant signing for our football club, and is a fantastic reflection of the confidence he has in Brad and the club moving forward.”

14 Likes