#14 Jordan Ridley -- ADDITIONAL 3 YEARS (till 2029)

Signed an extension last year from memory, still got 1 more to go.

@SplitRound

1 Like

Ah yeah of course - very good point.

Youā€™ll be delighted to know that Mason has a contract until the end of 2019.

2 Likes

Heck yeah. Why draft the next Tippa when you can keep the next Tyson Slattery on the list for another year.

As others are saying, having rookies be allowed to play at any time is a new twist. My guess is it will make the re-rookie even more common among the teams that love it so much. Get the national draft pick instead of rookie draft pick, still get to play them whenever your preferred option is the 40th best player on your list.

You are correct, I am delighted.

3 Likes

Long term contract makes him a prime delist and rookie candidate based on our past form.

Thereā€™s not a great deal of difference wit hthe rookie list anymore - Primary A rookie listed players can all play from round 1 - correct me if iā€™m wrong?

Makes perfect sense to delist and rookie him.

I think it depends on how you define it as working

If itā€™s a list spot viewed in isolation, vs proportion of successes overal then sure, in the majority it hasnā€™t worked
If itā€™s compared to the success or otherwise of comparable picks, I think itā€™s probably much of a muchness

But in reality, half of those guys were halfway through a contract, and were going to be around anyway in some way, shape or form. The only actual decision was leave them on the main list and take a 3rd (or 4th or 5th) rookie pick; or demote them to rookies and take a 4th (or 5th or 6th) national draft pick or FA or cheap trade.
You can attract players to your main list, but nobodyā€™s coming here to be a rookie.

Ie Eades as rookie + Stewart
vs Eades still on main list + best of whoever was left in the 3rd round of the rookie draft [ironically probably some other clubā€™s retread like Joel Patfull or Fraser Mcinnes]

2 Likes

On balance Iā€™d give a 1 year extension to Morga now and work out whether he sits on the main or rookie list once we know whatā€™s happenijg with the older guys. Quite likely weā€™re doing 6-8 main list changes anyway.

1 Like

You move him to the rookie list because giving him an extra year on the rookie list is cheaper than the main list, and gives you a better draft pick.

1 Like

I found this one particularly strange. Like Redman stood out over all other draftees and needed to be guaranteed 4 years straight away like other clubs were scrambling for his signature. I get that he is a light body and might need more time but just thought at the time he hadn;t really shown anything yet anyway.
Also i liked the comments elsewhere of Morgan being given a try right in the middle, he is actually a big body for his age, quick and seems ordinary in defence.
Interested to see Ridley this weekend too.

It seems like Essendon recruiting priorities character over all else.

Myers getting that extraordinary contract was baffling this one seems it again. Iā€™m not saying donā€™t give him a contract.

1 Like

When it becomes apparent that a player doesnā€™t have the intensity or appetite for the contest required of AFL, you cut your loses. Morgan is that player in my opinion.

Everyone involved with the VFL side would disagree with you about his attitude and intensity.

His hammies could cost him though.
But you never know.

I havenā€™t seen him as many times as some watchers, but from what I have seen, my impression is that he plays too far outside the contest too often.

From next year, yes. Still paid peanuts though.*

*comparitive to other listed players.

1 Like

Well how about that Jordan Ridley kid. What a jet.

8 Likes

Who?

1 Like

Does he play like Sean Wellman?