#14 Jordan Ridley -- ADDITIONAL 3 YEARS (till 2029)

Ridley is made for the backline. He is composed. Rarely gets worried. Exactly what is needed.

wish you guyā€™s would stick to comments about our brilliant young footballers not those wiesel comentatores

Would make a sensational winger.

6 Likes

Iā€™d be shocked if that were the case.
When he was drafted he was Lever verging on Hooker.

To me heā€™s turned into Ambrose but with far better disposal, which has shocked the hell out of me, but midfield would be Twilight Zone stuff.

Not saying he canā€™t, although I doubt it, but seeing that at 17ā€¦more nah than yeah in my yeah-nah.

ā€œHeā€™s 192, he can play forward. Last year as a bottom ager he kicked 6 in a game, we thought he looks alright. Then heā€™s played across half back and we think he can develop into a tall mid.ā€

They can always develop into midfielders. Always.

Edit: from http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-11-25/draft-wrap

2 Likes

192cm 17 year-olds kicking six goals in a game screams midfielder to me.

Iā€™m taking that with the tiniest pinch of salt.

Oh, for sure, Iā€™d just never doubt that Dodoro said somewhere that a draftee could develop into a midfielder.

1 Like

Got to do the Essendon apprenticeship on the HBF first.

Outside of pure talls, why would you draft anyone with a second rounder who didnā€™t have the skills/potential to be a mid, regardless of what their best position is?

Pretty much anyone with a limited skill set is going to get pushed to the back end of the draft

He was right with Myers.

Given itā€™s functionally impossible to disagree with that, I guess I agree.

Where he ends up playing will depend on how much he adds to his frame. Regardless of position, heā€™ll be playing in the AFL before too long.

Inside mid attributes are ability to take possession cleanly in traffic, be strong in body on body contests around stoppages, stand up in the tackle and keep your hands free, quick accurate disposal by hand in close, vision in congestion. Anything else like good foot skills or pace are a bonus. Clarke has these attributes. Ridley is a completely different player.

He reads it well, is balanced, quick, composed, a very good kick. He is suited to, and good at the role he is playing. However given Gleeson and Francis are similar, if we want him to play elsewhere, we should have a look at him as a forward. A running wingmen would suit. Inside mid - not for mine.

7 Likes

Whatā€™s his tank and speed like?

Tank not bad, speed not too shabby for a guy of 191cm.

Heā€™s good and getting gooder.

6 Likes

When do you think he will be goodest?

3 Likes

Donā€™t know when he will be goodest. Maybe around the same time when he is best.

Runs a 3.13 20m (solid but not express), and is a top quartile endurance athlete from memory.

1 Like

He is perfect on hbf, but I could certainly see him playing wing or high half forward. With Francis, Redman, and gleeson, we have plenty of good depth at half back. But if they are all fit to play it makes for an interesting conversation because all are afl level and best 22 in my eyes.

2 Likes

No comment on Ridley, but the presentation of sprint times has certainly changed over the years.

Back in the day that would have been considered ā€œslowā€ and ā€œlacking the acceleration neededā€.

I can happily say that when Hurls was measured at 3.11 that I thought it was too slow for the role weā€™d be asking him to play.

After a decade or so, I think I can say I was wrā€¦wrā€¦I was wrong.

1 Like