#15 Jayden Laverde - ๐‹๐ข๐ฏ๐ž๐“›๐“ช๐“พ๐“ฐ๐“ฑ ๐•ƒ๐”ธ๐• (Part 1)

Good to see little Davey Warner joining in the larks at the front there

Okay, which oneโ€™s Jake Brady?

Langers with a smile. Keep it that way lad.

1 Like

#bringbackdonnington

Injury-plagued Bomber edging closer to new deal

Callum Twomey

Jayden Laverde being held up by his team mates because he is so injury proneโ€ฆ

JAYDEN Laverde looks set to stay at Essendon, with the former top-20 pick edging towards a new deal with the club.

Laverde, who kicked three goals in the Bombersโ€™ final-round win over Port Adelaide, is out of contract but is believed to be getting closer to a two-year extension.

It would tie him to the Bombers until the end of 2020.

Laverde has been struck by injury throughout his four-year career in the AFL, with hamstring troubles restricting him to just seven senior appearances this season.

He was heavily pursued at the end of 2016 when he last fell out of contract, with St Kilda leading the charge, and he has again attracted interest this year.

The Bombers are yet to lock away a number of their players for next year.

Improved forward Shaun McKernan, who has been on one-year deals in his four seasons at Essendon, is likely to be rewarded for his strong season in attack with a two-year contract and an upgrading to the senior list.

The parties are close to agreeing to terms for an extension for the former Crow, having started negotiations further apart.

Discussions over James Stewartโ€™s contract have been ongoing throughout the season, but the club is understood to have recently settled on the terms for a deal expected to run until the end of 2020.

Talks are also underway for Michael Hartley to extend his stay at Essendon, with the backman considered more likely to remain.

Forward Mitch Brown, defender Matt Dea, small goalkicker Josh Green, rookie Ben McNiece and midfielder Jake Long are among the clubโ€™s out of contract players.

Matthew Leuenbergerโ€™s three-year deal at Essendon has come to an end after he crossed from the Brisbane Lions.

The ruckman managed only two senior appearances this season, including in the final game against Port Adelaide when he injured his calf, but there has been no movement on a contract for next year and the 30-year-old is a chance to retire.

The Bombers are hoping to again be busy during this yearโ€™s trade period, with Greater Western Sydney pair Dylan Shiel and Will Setterfield in their sights, so list spots may be tight for players on the fringe.

The club has already made two list changes, with veteran Brendon Goddard and forward Jackson Merrett informed they wouldnโ€™t be offered new deals for 2019.

15 Likes

More good news. The club sees what is in front of them and are keen to keep him.

2 Likes

at the end of the day i reckon he is a must keep

potential too high to lose.

yes, hes done sfa in the grand scheme of things so far, but I couldnt imagine hed be on big dosh and id prefer him over some 3rd rounder that wed get from him

hope we can find a role for him and he can get some continuity

9 Likes

Iโ€™m hiding over the backfence

3 Likes

LAV

Still unsure what his best position is yet, he didnโ€™t get many touches on the weekend but he was a fkn beast in contested marking contests.

He is superb when heโ€™s got front position and the ball is kicked above his head, which is rare for a non KP player.

Heโ€™s got intensity, physicality, strong above his head, just need to find a way to get him more involved, bit of confidence and game smarts.

2 Likes

He does hit those CHF contested marking situations like a train. Love it.

5 Likes

Is it me or has his kicking style changed though post hammy injuries. Looks really awkward

I think his kicking was always a little overrated on blitz. He seems to undercut the footy a lot and the ball spins heaps and just hangs in the air.

Weird I know, but itโ€™s like he kicks the end of the thing and not the belly of the ballโ€ฆ

2 Likes

I like him as a 3rd tall who can shotgun through the midfield for 20minutes a game.

If he gets confidence in his body and himself he could be a weopon in 1-1 contests. But Iโ€™m not convinced we are ever gonna see what he really has to offer.

Hope Iโ€™m wrong.

Can he produce a year similar to De Goey in the next two years?

Talent wise I dont think theres any reason why he cant.

Whether there is a spot in the team for someone to play that role/ whether his body holds up is another question.

1 Like

If he was to have a prominent defining season is that the style of player he would be?

its the only style of player i realistically see him becoming IMO.

I dont think he has the skillset/ body to be a full time midfielder, nor do I think he fits in the team as a permanent forward.

He will be a 50-50 forward/ mid who, when he does play mid, is told to impact stoppages or general play, as opposed to getting involved in linkup play etcโ€ฆ much like what Stringer was doing this year

2 Likes

Yep agree. Heโ€™ll never be a full time midfielder

For those that said laverde didnt have a great game in the VFL final, I thought he was handy.
He got us off the mark early marking kicking truly.
and had a hand in a number of goals, being involved in the chain of play.

Long as well i though had a ok game, including a couple of goal assists inside 50 and good pressure.

Jerrett getting easy goals out the back and Green dominating the air must have annoyed the collingwood VFL supporters there :slight_smile:

Laverde hasnt got Francis potentialโ€ฆin the marking department. But he goes alright body on body and has the potential to kick goals quickly. Not sure if he has the Toe of DeGoeyโ€ฆbut if he is up and about could bring the confidence.

Ideally - Degoey/stringer/Laverde all play forward and burst through the midfield as clearance Bulls.

A big test for both of them will be applying defensive pressureโ€ฆin the forwardline, but they both ahve intent which is good.

I think they are almost the reverse Martin.
I.e Martin mid - rest forward

Lav/String will play forward and come into midfield late in quarters or late in game when midfield tiring.

Just on Long- second quarter half forward flank outer side, should have gone the second effort but was a passive observer from 2 metres away as Port cleared from defence. He doesnโ€™t inspire with that lack of effort.