#15 Jayden Laverde - ๐‹๐ข๐ฏ๐ž๐“›๐“ช๐“พ๐“ฐ๐“ฑ ๐•ƒ๐”ธ๐• (Part 1)

Heโ€™s just got to start kicking them

Missed two easier ones in a game preceding and then got the hard one from boundary

Stringer very similar player to degoey

Hope he can start slotting those shots on goal. Has been very good other than that.

1 Like

Ah, Jake stringer goes alright. Heโ€™s got more runs on the board than de goey too

He is presenting pretty well, working hard but my god his kicking is dreadful. You just canโ€™t afford to be wasting those opportunities.

Lav is doing everything right at the moment except finishing. I reckon his run up on set shots needs to be longer and he needs to build a little more pace in the run up. He walks in and doenโ€™t really looked balanced which I suspect is why heโ€™s falling away to the right a bit in his kicking action.

Should be easy enough to fix up because the mechanics are otherwise quite sound.

Club needs a goal kicking coach. Even a part timer on 50k a year would do. Given the impact it has on results it should be a no brainer really.

1 Like

He is building nicely, if he can play the rest of the year injury free we might start to see the player he could be. I really hope he does!

Does anyone with actual inside knowledge know what we do for goal kicking practice? Do we have set sessions dedicated to methodical goal kicking practice. Akin to what golfers would do with putting and driving.

Or is it just go out and have a few shots at goal, and oh yeah, do it towards the end with your mates when youโ€™re a bit tired etc.

Practicing kicking for goal when you are tired is of more benefit than kicking when you are freash on the training track, as it more closely resembles real match conditions.

1 Like

Iโ€™m as annoyed as anyone with his appalling kicking for goal. It could easily cost us a game.

But for a change Iโ€™m looking on the bright side. Heโ€™s definitely getting comfortable with the pace and intensity of senior football, and his field kicking is pretty good. With general confidence on the ground his kicking for goal should improve. Darcy Parish couldnโ€™t kick a goal to save his life until recently but heโ€™s started to kick a few now. If he can do it, Laverde can do it.

8 Likes

I have no problem about kicking when tired. I agree you should practice that scenario as it is match relevant. Itโ€™s also relevant to be able to kick a goal when fresh in the 1st minute of a game - good way to get your team up and about.

But my point was about the methodology they employ with goal kicking - how much time they spend on it and how they train/practice to develop a reliable goal kicking technique for a range of distances and angles and states of fatigue and opposition pressure.

2 Likes

We keep hearing that the sports scientists wonโ€™t allow the guys to practise goalkicking, particularly when tired, because of the stress it puts on the quads.

Think it was noted on radio that Cats are doing the opposite hence how efficient they are.

Huge focus on goal kicking once fatigued

That together with how well they structuring up means they just getting the job done, even though 11th for inside 50โ€™s in league

1 Like

Bombers have 6 players in the top 25 for average behinds.

Iโ€™m not sure that it can be all put down to bad set shots though.

We tend to have a lot of shots from terrible spots and also we are generally under pressure when taking them.

Our mids are terrible at hitting our forwards on the chest or even kicking to advantage.

Have watched McKernan pretty closely he is excellent at bringing the ball to ground even with 2 opponents and the incoming kick advantaging the defenders.

We just hack it forward.

The sports scientists who donโ€™t allow kicking for goal, especially under fatigue, are forgetting the training principle of specificity, which is kind of an essential aspect of quality training and skill specific training.

I remember Billingโ€™s having a shocking year in front of goal and has looked to turn that around Iโ€™m confident Lav could

Also Stringer has missed some very bad shots this year aswell but gets a free pass because he is established

He doesnโ€™t get a free pass from me. His set shots are appalling, although he did get one this week.

He generally gets a tick because although he misses the set shots, he gets quite a few snap goals.

Ideally heโ€™d get both.

Stringer kicks most of his set shots from left of centre, most of his misses come from right of centre. Make of that what you will.

Has a little hook in his kickingโ€ฆ good from the boundary

1 Like

To my eye, Laverde stabs his kicksโ€ฆEven set shots, he doesnโ€™t get his foot very high.

Maybe heโ€™s thinking: โ€œIf I follow right through this kick, and get my foot higher than my hips, my hamstrings will explodeโ€.

Soโ€ฆI think heโ€™s more efficient with the kicks across the body.

1 Like