#15 Jayden Laverde - ๐‹๐ข๐ฏ๐ž๐“›๐“ช๐“พ๐“ฐ๐“ฑ ๐•ƒ๐”ธ๐• (Part 1)

What Iโ€™d really like to see from Laverde now is the confidence to make a hard lead. He just appears to be holding back a little and waiting for the ball to come out the back. It was patently obvious against the Swans. Maybe heโ€™s still not sure of his own abilities, or just still too inexperienced at this level and with his team mates to know where to position himself. I would hope the forward coach/es would be addressing this. Maybe bring in someone like Lloyd to speak to these young guys about such things.

It was humming beautifully when Skippy had the forward setup and he had them playing well as a group.

The next year he was taken off the group and non-stop injuries have hit.,

But the setup and structure is all wrong as well.

5 Likes

Can see him kicking 5 - 6 goals against the Roos this week

1 Like

Vs their VFL side?

Would be iffy to retain spot this week

10 possessions. 0.2 scored. 1 tackle only

If we honoured his leads or at least hit one or two of them he might kick a few more.

Heโ€™s ready to Xplode. I need you to believe Mr Gonzales

3 Likes

Leave him deep fwd. Have him as the one who doesnโ€™t follow the ops backman up the field. Have him lead at the ball carrier when Saad or Mckenna Burst through from the backline. Donโ€™t follow what most of the other teams do and have the whole farking fwd line up the field. Then have the coach complain our fwds had no time to set as we moved the ball to quickly.

Time and time again Tippa is the only one there to kick it too and he has 2 6f5 blokes on him. If its not Lav it should be stringer. Part the problems with the mids kicking is that there are no fwd presenting. As they are in no mans land as there where to far up the field. Its BS footy, and doesnโ€™t play to our strengths.

If we have a clear leading option, it makes it much easier for the kicker and the fwd.

4 Likes

His form overall has been solid though. Canโ€™t drop him after one down game

Stays in. No question.

3 Likes

Didnโ€™t he have Dane โ€œDan Whelanโ€ Rampe on him most of the game? Rampe might be a douche but he is a good defender

1 Like

itโ€™s a hard one.
I dontโ€™ think he will be dropped, cos heโ€™s a favourite.
yeah he had a bad game, but his form has been ok.

The main reason iโ€™d drop him is team balance.
when you look at it, he will be essentially 4th in line now going forward.
mckernan, brown/hooker, stringer will be the main go to forwards.

maybe it could work if the playing group could hit the side of a barn with any of their disposals, but they canโ€™t at present and arenโ€™t getting better.
Raz is offering little in the way of defensive pressure, should be dropped for snelling.
but lav just is gonna be in this no mans land if they keep playing him, heโ€™s a predominately marking forward, whoโ€™s 4th in line in that respect and will be expected more to apply defensive pressure, which isnโ€™t his strong suit and isnโ€™t his strength

possessions donโ€™t tell the whole story no doubt, but 10, 9 and 13 possie games in the last 3, 4 tackles across the 3 games, 4 goals, and 8 marks which 5 was in one game.
If that sort of output came from Baguely, youโ€™d have people screaming for him to be dropped in every thread.

Exactly my thoughts on the fwd pressure and reverting to the 2 talls + Stringer and 3 smalls structure as far as pressure goes.

Snelling is banging down the door

Thatโ€™s said yep absolutely all our fwds would benefit from us actually being able to execute a series of basic kicking however.

Zakaโ€™s pathetic kick to Lav that didnโ€™t get to him but they were able to work it forward to Raz for his freakish snap one that comes to mind

2 Likes

brown offers โ– โ– โ– โ–  all at etihad.

1 Like

I disagree, Lav time and time again is able to pick up the ball when it hits the deck, break a tackle and effectively dispose the footy by hand to setup a player who is in position to kick the goal. I reckon heโ€™s done it every week since heโ€™s come back in, or unselfishly give off an easy goal for himself to someone in a better position. Many others, especially tippa and raz will bomb away whenever they see the goals or only pass when absolutely necessary and usually the chance is gone by then.

1 Like

People want Lav dropped after 1 poor game.

He is young.

Brown has had 4 poor games in a row!

2 Likes

Brown plays a structurally important role and versatility allowing us to have the Hooker switch

Lav looked good whilst Stringer was out as essentially he was playing that 3rd tall role and getting more footy directed through him.

With Stringer back Lav really needs to play more like a small, and with only 1 tackle last week & minimal impact he isnโ€™t.

4 Likes

No he hasnโ€™t.

He got injured against Collingwood. He was probably in the better half of the team against WC. And hasnโ€™t been great the last 2.

And the 2 games before Collingwood he dominated.

So give it a rest.

7 Likes

When lav gets to a contest he usually has a positive influence over it. Heโ€™s just got to get to more contests. We need look at why he isnโ€™t getting to enough. Is he getting burned? Is he not getting to the right spots? Is work rate preventing him from getting to the right spots enough?

On Saturday I often thought his starting position was too deep and/or he was heading back towards goal when he needed to come at the ball. Heโ€™s nowhere if heโ€™s more the 70m away from the ball carrier trying to enter 50 or the front half.

I think this is an issue with our forward structure generally. Not enough guys hit up to the ball to close the distance to the back carrier and create connection. We take very few marks 60 to 70 metres from goal from where it is easier to direct 30 to 40 me passes inside 50. The more of those marks we create the more dangerous we will look.

7 Likes

What he needs is to spend a bit of time practicing kicking goals.

Got injured literally 5 mins before the end of the game. Until that point had 7 touches, no score and no tackles.

Before that he was a forward cashing in against teams that were belted