#15 Jayden Laverde - π‹π’π―πžπ“›π“ͺ𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

Theres a few people who see/share this theory of forwards starting behind expecting the ball out the back, from an exceptionally long kick.

Why do the players/coaches whoever at the club not see it ? It makes no sense.

1 Like

I suspect this forward structure is a hangover from 2017 when we really were a side totally reliant on transition to score. We actually had very low entry numbers that year and extremely high efficiency because we got over the back, a lot.

Believe it or not we are actually much more of a front half side this year and force many more re-entries into 50 but our forward system hasn’t properly adapted and we tend to avoid short passes to leading targets inside 50 instead favouring long, hotspot kicking. That can be very hard to score from if there is a lot of congestion.

I also think sides are now much better at defending the out the back transition.

2 Likes

Deepest forward in transition should be Laverde to give him the most space to lead into. He can either turn and kick to those moving toward goal or hand off to someone streaming by.
It can’t be Walla, Fantasia, Stringer or Smack.
So that leaves either Brown or Laverde as that leading out from 50. However Laverde has only taken 11 marks outside 50 in 6 games, it should be more than double that.
Especially on the weekend, playing on Rampe for a good chunk and should have been the target before entering fwd 50. There’s no way Rampe trails him outside 50. I don’t think it’s Laverde’s fault though our fwd coach hasn’t fired a shot all season.

So frustrating to watch that hotspot kicking. That went out 10-15yrs ago.

Same with β€˜the switch.’ It’s like watching a trainwreck most of the time we do it.

And the rebound D50 scoring, would appear so tiring we mostly can’t back up for wins week in week out.

Beats me why most weeks we spot up Walla with down the line kicks too.

Oh well. At least we nearky make top 8 each year…

And on the odd occasion when we commit to repeat short kicks to beat the press we win matches. Go figure.

What do you think about what some at the game indicated ( eg. @CJohns) that Lav was unsuccessfully trying to coordinate with Stringer and in trying to keep out of his way missed chances to lead into the spaces he was picking out in previous weeks.

It is my theory that our under 23 players know each other well and love playing together and dig deep and dare together with confidence.

It is an age old phenomena that perceived senior players can intimidate less experienced players. But it is something that good sides overcome and nurture confidence in each other.

A confident Lav playing to his strengths is a sight to behold.

Hopefully we are seeing Lav and others (Francis, Langford, Dlarke etc.) shining more and more in the near future and onwards.

2 Likes

The hotspot kick/entry has a time and place

If you’ve got limited numbers forward, and you know you’re not setup for a turnover, it’s a good way to setup a contest and aim to hold the ball & reset for a forward half stoppage (either ballup or boundary throwin).

I think we revert to it too often, sometimes in situations where there is a clear, attacking option on.

LAV TO XPLODE THIS WEEK

7 Likes

Can’t do that. Bellchambers already has the rights to that in his thread title.

1 Like

LAV is going to kick a bag this week at AFL level and you VFL types gagging for a big forward can look elsewhere for your man.

9 Likes

If he gets injured then I’M COMING FOR YOU

1 Like

Broke multiple tackle attempts, handball to Walla for the winning goal. Jayden - you are a frickin GUN!!! Stays da fck in!!!

15 Likes

Love him.

1 Like

Could easily have put that ball on his foot in hope but showed composure and got the handball out to a free Walla.

Well done.

8 Likes

Misses to the narrow side every time. Sort ya β– β– β– β–  out!!

4 Likes

Getting better each week.

6 Likes

Basically won us the game.

Needs a real good development coach to get the best out of him.

Corrrigan making way might give him that chance

Did anybody else think that last handball was pretty close to a throw?

1 Like

No more than about 100 others in the game

7 Likes

Meh, Collingwood throw the ball all the time.

1 Like

Injuries or not the poor bloke is a nightmare in front of the sticks. Hopefully he can get over the yips soon