#15 Jayden Laverde - π‹π’π―πžπ“›π“ͺ𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

What I loved about the tackle was the fact that his last few steps seemed a little quicker. Like he lured his prey into a false sense of security.

It reminded me of Michael Bevan running between the wickets and always making fielders throwing to his end even though they had no chance.

Mad skills!

You do know that people β€œaccelerate” as they run over 20-30m yeh?

Did anyone notice I put Jayden’s face on the incredible green one?

Very impressive young man.

Could easily see him having a Hepp or Zerrett like first season.

Laverde learning from the best Shane Potter January 13, 2015 2:20 PM

Essendon draftee Jayden Laverde has wasted no time in finding a mentor to help him prepare for the rigours of AFL football.

Since joining the club in November, Laverde has turned to All Australian midfielder Dyson Heppell for advice and guidance on how to go about his business.

The 18-year-old has settled in well to his new environment using the support of some of the team’s best players to assist him in finding his feet.

β€œThe first couple of weeks we spent just learning but now I feel like I am really settling into the group,” Laverde said.

β€œI am starting to find my way through training which is good and I am loving every minute of it.

β€œYou tend to go towards the leaders such as Dyson (Heppell) and now Cale Hooksey is back he has helped me out as well.”

Heppell played a key role in the debut season of Rising Star nominee Zach Merrett during the 2014 season as a mentor during his first season in the red and black.

An agile and versatile tall utility Laverde models his game on his new mentor and is already showcasing talents that could see him match the debut season of the young Heppell.

β€œI am just staying around those guys, learning as much as I can off them, especially Dys because he is one of the players I aspire to be like,” he said.

β€œIt has been easy to learn off him and he has helped me out really well.”

It has not been uncommon to see the youngster from Keilor doing extra work with coaching staff and teammates following training over his first few months with the club.

Laverde said the extra work was all about ensuring he fast tracks himself to playing senior football as soon as possible.

β€œBeing in the development group we pointed out that we want to be up there as soon as we can so we are just trying to fast track ourselves,” Laverde said.

β€œFor myself I just want to get up to the standard that I need to be at as quick as possible.

β€œIt depends on how I play throughout the practice matches and then I will see if I get a game in the NAB Cup.

β€œI take every day as it comes and see where we go from there.”

Oh yeah!

Going to be brilliant rubbing fark carltons nose into it over this one.

#Ο€

*99#

What I loved about the tackle was the fact that his last few steps seemed a little quicker. Like he lured his prey into a false sense of security.

It reminded me of Michael Bevan running between the wickets and always making fielders throwing to his end even though they had no chance.

Mad skills!

Jake Stringer role.

β€œThe Package”

You can tell he’s an Essendon supporter when he plays, Genuine love for the club, I β– β– β– β– β– β– β–  love that!

Driven!

Momentum! Seriously if this guy can emerge as another future star, much like Zerret and Heppell then you would have to think we have weathered the draft penalty storm very well (even if Langford played 0 games). We won’t know for a few years yet but our recent drafting could very well beat quite a few of the other teams, even despite us having brutal draft penalties.

I know we could have set ourselves up a lot more for years to come if we didn’t have the penalties. I’m just saying we are still sitting pretty comfortable despite them<

Not the greatest of angles, but it was all the AFL highlights package had:

Could make it a bit smoother but not sure Riolio would be too happy with me taking up all the bandwidth.

Love the little extra shove after the tackle. That’s the kind of attitude that will take the team forward. Parish has it also.

I should have added that its the attitude that says he wont put up with being a crap team. It represents a will to compete and win.

Could make it a bit smoother but not sure Riolio would be too happy with me taking up all the bandwidth.

morally reprehensible conduct.

Lav got away from his man so many times and was able to present around CHF but his leads didn’t seem to get honoured enough. Team play was either kick it wide or try to run it through the middle with lots of little handpasses. Lookout for when his teamates start to realise he is there as a forward target.

Everything he does is class.

As he builds his fitness up and gets more confidence possession count will increase and will have a greater impact.

Agreed. I think he will start to demand the ball more as his confidence increases and his team mates will be happy to hand it over to him. He wants to make β– β– β– β–  happen and looks like he would run through a brick wall to do that.

I feel we are starting to get a few players now that bring that type of spirit to our game. They will themselves to the contest and generally impact it in a favourable manner and will take the shot when it is there.

It is from those type of players that the others get inspired and raise their games. We have a few of those type not playing this year…but anyway, bring it on!

I’d rather they hand it over to Laverde than Cooney

I think lav showed more in his 1st year than Langford but has obviously struggled with injury this year

I don’t remember it like that at all - but I’m willing to be persuaded.

Yeah, he did. He was going through the centre, great muscle and composure. Langford has really come on this year, now it’s pretty even.

Class, imagine if he didn’t get injured this year.