#15 Jayden Laverde - ๐‹๐ข๐ฏ๐ž๐“›๐“ช๐“พ๐“ฐ๐“ฑ ๐•ƒ๐”ธ๐• (Part 1)

He certainly knows how to stand up in a tackle

Iโ€™ll say this - itโ€™s 50/50 at the moment.

1 Like

As a junior he was a damaging highly agile winger. He was capable of working the lines due to that spring-heeled leap. He had a powerful turn of speed. The guy moved like a cat.

Now he has put on muscle to the point of having the build of a CHF. The guy is f@rking massive!

He has lost a heap of pace and when looking to gather the ground ball he doesnt fully extend for it.

Im not sure who is responsible for his development. But somebody really โ– โ– โ– โ–  the bed at an handling an elite talent.

3 Likes

I think Laverde has what is required to be a very good footballer. I think some perseverance and patience is needed from supporters. Given the way he plays I can see him becoming an inside midfielder in time and I think he could become the natural heir to the Myers role. In the immediate future he can ply his trade in the VFL and make a case like everyone else. He doesnโ€™t have to look too far for inspiration that hard work and right attitude pays off. Plenty of long term and short term stories. Brown, McKernan, Langford, Guelfi, Bags, Walla, Dea, and even Myers and now Franga. Hooker even had to do the hard yards.

Lav has the tools. He seems to have the attitude. He is too good for VFL and that is a good indication that if injuries stay away, he can become a player.

3 Likes

Bomber from birth donโ€™t forget.

Think heโ€™ll stay if he can, โ€ฆ & I think we want him to.

7 Likes

If I am honest Laverde either plays Midfield or we look at options end of year. Might sound harsh but his kicking for goal technique is so poor that I just donโ€™t see the value of persisting with him in that position. I think he can be a decent midfielder if given a chance but will his body allow him to do that week in week out I am not sure. He played midfield time in the VFL a few weeks back and it was the best I had seen him play that looked natural to him.

16 Likes

Edit

But was so perfect. Not sure if the change has been/is injury related, mental, or due to adjusting to growth,โ€ฆ but thereโ€™s no reason to think he canโ€™t get back to what it was.

2 Likes

Meh

1 Like

Imagine if we had a goal kicking coach

1 Like

Succinct. :laughing:

Personally I donโ€™t think it ever looked great. I maintain that people got excited by his kicking simply because his first 8 or 9 kicks for goal just happened to go through.

Go back and watch those first shots pre 1st injury again.

Just โ€œhappenedโ€ to go through, โ€ฆ :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Iโ€™ve always wanted to believe, but tbh Iโ€™ve never been able to see the hype - I do like his aggression and size though. Langford on the other hand has always shown a bit IMHO and Iโ€™m happy he has kicked on.

I would be OK if the club did give him 2 years though., because he has been injured and I suspect weโ€™ll have a few others on the list cleaned out this year. Iโ€™d be equally OK if he chose to try his luck elsewhere.

1 Like

Nah, Iโ€™m not going to be bothered doing that. I donโ€™t care enough.

If Iโ€™m honest, Iโ€™m half hoping he goes. I donโ€™t think heโ€™ll make it, so any draft pick we get would be a bonus.

Edit: Donโ€™t get me wrong thoughโ€ฆif he stays on, Iโ€™ll cheer him on just as strongly as any other player on the list.

Does a club thatโ€™s 10th on the ladder really need to be letting talented youngsters go? We arenโ€™t hawthorn circa 2015.

3 Likes

Ahern is from the same Draft as Lav (2014), and is now showing the benefits of persistence.
2 years is probably 1 too many, but I hope we do it.
I rate his skillset, but mentally he is fragile.
Hope he can gain some confidence in his body.

No heโ€™s not.

The injuries the bloke has had will do that to you.

And no one โ– โ– โ– โ–  the bed with his development. He hasnโ€™t been on the track enough to really get any.

Even with how things have gone, Iโ€™d offer him another year, and tell him we need to start seeing something from him. I wouldnโ€™t care if it was regular high output magoos games. Just show what you can bring, and weโ€™ll give you another contract. And then Iโ€™d play him in the midfield.

3 Likes

Most of his injuries are attributable to the nature of playing as a forward in the manner his does, like Hurley, a move to a more hospitable role might allow him some continuity.

Midfield roles may be have an attritional affect but Lavs injuries have been more from high intensity sprint efforts and in marking contests, both of which are less common as a mid.

1 Like

Why would we trade him for something like a 3rd round pick?
Just imagine Lav were playing vfl now and not on an AFL list. Same junior career, same injury history. If he were still available in the draft in the 3rd round, would you draft him?
In the blink of any eye you would.
His ability and his age, given his injury history and his obvious potential, mean that he would be the best 3rd round draft prospect for a long time.
And we donโ€™t need to draft him. He is ours. All we need to do it offer him a decent contract. Of course we should do it.

5 Likes