#15 Josh Green - delisted

And it begins!

I appreciate your expert tactical opinion but i don’t remember him being used in the role before, interested to know who else in the team from rnd 1 could move to shutdown of need be?

I don’t think woosha would play a full time tagger like hocking but I’d like a guy in the side that can move to shut down if need be. Howlett strikes me as a guy that could be good in that role with his hardness and team first attitude, but also start the game in a positive role as a rotating mid/forward.

Knights tried him a few times in 2010, then Hird used him as a tagger whenever Hocking was injured or suspended in 2011/2012.

He really struggled with it, which is surprising as I agree with you… He should be good at it. He’s tough, he’s fit, he can tackle with the best of them. Not sure why it never worked.

I wasn’t meaning to sound, what was it, like a tactical expert? I just pay extra attention to taggers, and it annoys me that Woosha seems totally adverse to it

4 Likes

Noticed that, woosha would have his best players line up on theirs and try to win the ball rather than stop them from winning it.

saw zach line up on jaeger so many times but he just went the ball. think their mids worried about ours more than the other way around.

somethign spectacularly different than whats been happening the last few years.

3 Likes

It’s magnificent when it’s working…

It won’t always work though, at some stage some opposition mid is going to carve us up, and he has to have a plan for that.

2 Likes

agreed, zach was always on danger when they were both in the contest. danger wasn’t entirely contained but he didn’t run riot in the JLT at that time.

Then someone else had to go on danger and we lost it in the 3rd.

Fair enough i didn’t remember that. I think regardless someone as opposed to nobody in the side is better than nothing. I’m always astounded when guys like dangerfield are left alone to do as they please. I hope woosha isn’t as stubborn on this as he was about dropping back an extra defender in the flooding days. It was only in the 2006 finals series he finally adhered to that and they won the flag a few weeks later.

1 Like

I totally agree with you on having at least the option of a shut down player. I just don’t think Howlett is it.

Craig Bird was a pretty useful tagger at the Swans, I’d like to see him play that role at some stage if Hocking doesn’t get back up to speed in a hurry.

But let’s face it, Woosha had Bird last year, and the best tagger of the modern era at his disposal, and not once did he choose to use it.

Edit: Sh*t, this is the Josh Green thread, I thought it was the Brisbane thread!

1 Like

Sad to see him out for a few weeks but will be back. Hes absolute dynamite. In the meantime, id be looking at Hocking or Howlett to fill in

He’s a ball watcher, not a player watcher.

Hocking is our best tagger & Bird as a ‘run with’ player on someone can half do the job, but maybe more damaging the other way.

I agree that Howlett is probably ‘next man up’ but that worries me… I’m really disappointed that Green is out injured… his pressure was epic and he is a goal threat as well which adds to the forward line mix.

I love bobcat but I’m a tiny bit nervous he doesn’t have the same leg speed/goal sense.

Although it is Brisbane…so we should romp this in.

1 Like

I think Howlett is a very underrated player, but hes definitely not as quick as green. if its leg speed is the issue, maybe the coaches would consider bringing McKenna in at half back while giving McGrath a go as a mid/forward? a bit early to be experimenting with his position maybe, but it could provide a ton of flexibility if it works.

Yeah very disappointed for the Corgi, DFA pick-up, coming off a slightly restricted pre-season, does a power of work to be right for Round 1 and now has to miss the next fortnight. He’s on a one-year deal too so needs to make every post a winner. Without getting himself a goal, he was very good as part of that small forward trio with Walla and Raz. All 3 were absolute pains in the ar$e for the Hawks defenders with their speed and defensive pressure. Hope he gets straight back in when fit.

PS: Corgi, what a nickname!

1 Like

He looked in good spirits down the beach today.

Seemed happy enough chasing after the ball and biting people’s ankles.

12 Likes

Wrong corgi mate. He’s a pembroke.

1 Like

Hope he’s back for Anzac Day

1 Like

Racist!

Ummm…:confused:

Like for like. Francis comes in.

2 Likes

![quote=“bloodychoir, post:678, topic:3734, full:true”]
Like for like. Francis comes in.
[/quote]
Rangarist!

Just watched the reply. Didnt notice it at the ground on the night, but ■■■■ me did Green do a heap of running and chasing. Was fantastic. We will miss him.

2 Likes