#15 Josh Green - delisted

He’s certainly dropped right off. The only reason I would hesitate to drop him is that I would hate to see any speed go out of the team. He’s genuinely quick.

Sounds like he runs plenty in the seniors.

1. Champion data
    2 . Read my last sentence

He seems to chase a HELL of a lot. Which could mean he’s either very competitive or always out of position.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s exactly how I see it, and I’m not sure which it is. I think a little of both.

Using sprint stats is one of the most worthless stats anyone could possibly bring up.

He ha had zero impact, I like him but he isn’t contributing. Even if he does run quick.

I’m probably biased because I don’t like Green and was gutted when he came across to us but I acknowledge he’s been serviceable this year. However, his last two games have been below standard. His running patterns are terrible. He calls for the ball when he is clearly out of position. He dishes off the ball to 2v1 contests. And he aimlessly runs. Begley deserves his spot next week.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with dropping him next week for mine. I like him as a player but it’s not a death sentence and he may just need need the odd clip down to the VFL to fire him back up. I also don’t need to label him a ‘spud’ just because he needs a spell.

Looks as though he would be the type to kick big bags in the 2’s as well tbh.

I think Begley is coming for a Friday night debut.

1 Like

Why were you “gutted” that he came across to us? That sounds weird.

2 Likes

Because in my view, he was terrible at Brisbane and we don’t need terrible.

Terrible?

Kicked 25 goals from 16 games in 2015
Kicked 33 goals from 20 games in 2014
Kicked 24 goals from 17 games in 2013

That’s as a small forward in one of the worst teams of the modern era. He would have lead our goal kicking for most most the last decade with those numbers. I think he’s been more than serviceable.

6 Likes

Lol, CB. I said in my view.

And how did brisbane go in that period.Selfish little man

Why lol? I was putting forth strong evidence to suggest he hasn’t been terrible?

What’s terrible about kicking almost 30 goals for 3 years straight as a small forward in one of the worst teams imaginable?

Jetta was one of the most unselfish small forwards we had, pity he never kicked goals and was sh*t.

Yes, Green kicking almost 30 goals for 3 years in a shthouse team as a small forward, numbers that are better than any small forward we’ve had maybe bar Monfries for one year, is him to blame for Brisbane being sht. And nothing to do with Brisbane being a basket-case team.

A small forward is hardly the reason Brisbane were so rubbish for so long. And Green has been the exact opposite of selfish with us.

2 Likes

I’d like to see us put the ball on the deck rather than in the air when he is one on one in the forward line. He seems to play his best footy when the ball is bouncing around everywhere and causes lots of headaches for defenders.

2 Likes

fmd
again - I didn’t state the stats to defend Green’s game.
I brought them up to show ‘effort’, not influence.

2 Likes

How about his effort to actually get the ball or tackle? Just because he’s running up and down doesn’t = effort. It takes more effort to go the ball or tackle.

Bearing in mind that stats are…well, just stats, this is what we are told:

Green only had 11 disposals - 3 kicks, and 8 handballs. He was very efficient with those few disposals at over 80%. Five of them were off contested possessions. He didn’t score - but he was involved in the scoring chain 3 times. He took 4 marks, only 1 inside 50m. He lay only 1 tackle.

Given his position as a 3rd small defensive forward, I think his numbers are a bit low. I’d love to see, in particular, more tackles. But based on his GPS data and work-rate, I think his lack of greater influence is due to something other than effort. That is an opinion.