#16 Josh “Fridge” Begley

The game against the Cats is a good learning curve for Fridge. The tempo/ standard was higher that in the Suns game. He, like a lot of the boys, fell away (run off their legs) in the last 20 minutes of the game, which is concerning. Earlier, I felt he was where the ball wasn’t a lot of the time, but still managed a couple of sweet touches including one that began the chain of touches that let to Langford’s goal. Certainly not panic stations, doing very well for a young lad.

No panic stations at all. Got caught out of position repeatedly, lots to learn in a tactical game.

Should be good to watch in the VFL.

2 Likes

I think above all he will benefit from playing against a top 4 team at a high tempo. It always going to be hard to back up from his fantastic first up effort but it’s going to be really exciting watching him develop in the VFL this year. Especially knowing how good his upside is.

■■■■■■ hell. Thanks for the info.

Kid was rattled today. Looked out of his depth and literally turned everything over one way or another. But the kid is a beast. I thought he was going to kill somebody over near the interchange. I think we will see him again this year after he gets his confidence up in the twos. Play him after he kicks a few bags and monsters teams

I wouldn’t read into yesterdays game too much for him, was a huge geelong support and to come up against your idols is a pretty daunting task. Probably had a shrine to pops, bartel, selwood, enright, et al.

1 Like

I think Kelly was still wearing his cats jumper too.

Yeah, he had a mare. But he is no more a spud this week than he was a superstar last week. Looking forward to watching him develop in the VFL with a debut not too far into the season.

3 Likes

One thing that is almost a given after a newby comes in and goes ballistic on the built up adrenaline and excitement in his 1st game, is that they will put too much pressure on to equal or better it, and worry themselves straight out of it the next time. Happens 8 -9 times out of 10.

3 Likes

Went from Hero to Zero in a week…always wanted to say that!

I didn’t think he was too bad. Won’t be selected for round 1 though.

He’ll be back.

Has come from so far back, this is just a small blip along the way. VFL is the right place for him at the moment.

1 Like

Can’t deny that he had that lost/panic look a bit last game.

But signs are so there we have something of an ugly duckling that’s well on the way to become a swan, I mean Don :wink:

1 Like

Is it just me or was he playing out of position in the last JLT game? He seemed to be up the ground more and even in the backline. Why change what he was so good at (playing deep in the forwardline) against GC?

1 Like

He put himself out of position or looked like once in possession away from goal that he was overwhelmed by making the right choice.

I didn’t mind that, I think it shows he really wants to make it.

3 of his 9 touches were score involvements including a behind. There was at least one hand pass that made me go oooh, and another pick up at pace. He’ll be destroying the vfl no time

6 Likes

Debut this week with Green out?

Got a good record in Queensland.

If we look like making finals I’d seriously consider freshening him up 6 weeks out, with the aim of giving him a gig in our first final.

Gut feel is, fresh and at his bullocking best, he is exactly the inside mid that could stand up under finals intensity.

Heres hoping we have that choice!

Would love to see that but he would definitely be behind Howlett or Hocking. You could even try Franga if the coaching staff are game enough to go that tall and risk him with his fitness. Begs was pretty mediocre in the box Hill practice game as well. Still needs to get more game time in the magoos

1 Like

Got a mate who played with this kid @ Upper Gully cricket and another mate who’s a scout @ Eastern.

Very very very happy here. Will start fwd, end up midfield.
Old school, direct, aggressive. But as others have said, not fit enough yet. Was a fat ■■■■■■■ when he got to Eastern last year, but improved a million over the year.

8 Likes