#16 Josh “Fridge” Begley

I know some reckon he’s the obvious candidate, but I think Worsfold likes Baguley — he’s tough and he scores goals. I reckon he’ll stay in the FP and Fridge will go to HFF, with occasional runs in the Middle, which is why I suggested one of the other three.

OUT: Bagman, Myers.

IN: Begley, Laverde.

2 Likes

Looks fit!!
Welcome back he’ll kick a couple on the weekend

He’s scored 2 goals in 2 games and laid 5 tackles in total, NEXT! Begley will lay 5 tackles in a Quarter of footy, once he’s right he’s in for Baguley

WOB will appreciate this “I was pretty cooked early on”

Begley impresses in return

Josh Begley celebrates one of his two goals in his long-awaited return from injury. (Photo: Ben Johnstone)

Young forward Josh Begley has taken one step further in his rehabilitation process, emerging unscathed from Essendon VFL’s season opener on Sunday afternoon.

The 20-year-old, who tore his ACL during the first quarter of last year’s Anzac Day clash, managed 11 disposals, three tackles and two goals despite playing just the first half of the round one win against Frankston .

“I was pretty cooked early on, but it was good to get a couple of touches, a couple of goals, and to tick that box off and take the next step,” Begley said.

“It felt really good to be back out there with the boys, and good to see the game out and get through the first stage of being back.”

Senior coach Dan Jordan was happy with Begley’s return and praised his impact.

“It was a nice introduction for him - there was plenty of ball in that forward half and I thought he competed hard early,” Jordan said.

“He looked a little bit off with his touch which is understandable, but I thought he brought the ball to ground well, competed hard at ground level and got a bit of reward in that second quarter when he kicked a couple of goals.

“He certainly played his role in that forward line, but I think he’d just be happy to get through, get some confidence and have an impact on the game which I thought he did.”

Essendon VFL will have a bye this weekend, before facing North Melbourne at Avalon Airport Oval in round three.

Begley said he’d increase his playing minutes against the Kangaroos.

“I’m looking to play about 75 per of the game time in round three and then just build from there,” he said.

“My first full game back should be round four of the VFL, so I’ve just got two more boxes to tick and will then hopefully be fully back.”

Brooke Varney is in the final year of her Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) degree at RMIT University. As part of their strategic partnership, Essendon Football Club and RMIT University are committed to providing opportunities for students, staff, players and the wider community.

5 Likes

Good to see we are getting the most out of the student slave market through our arrangement with RMIT.

13 Likes

We couldn’t get any co-operation from Uncle Andy.

I’d rather him in the team than langford. Begley goes hard.

1 Like

It’s work experience, one or two articles a week and the club is putting that blurb at the end of each piece which can only help her in finding a job post uni.

3 Likes

Don’t mind me, I have to find something to be unreasonably cynical about on Monday morning.

2 Likes

So all things going well Begley should be AFL ready in early May?

1 Like

a win brings out the worst in some

1 Like

Is this our very own “The Departed” moment? Getting someone to work for us on the inside.

1 Like

Can someone clarify?
When they say I’ll play 75%, is that 75% of their usual 70%-80% time on ground?

I think they mean 3 QTRs. But will still be rotating on the bench.

1 Like

In that case, would it be ever diminishing play time?

Did Begley play a full game on Saturday or is he still on restricted minutes?

I think he was on restricted minutes. VFL this week is his first game with unrestricted time.

1 Like

Great news from Crow.

Dynamic forward Josh Begley was also off the scene for nearly a year after suffering an ACL injury in last year’s ANZAC Day clash, but he has impressed in his two VFL games on restricted game time so far this year.

Crow said the club has been “really pleased” with Begley’s progress and the 20-year-old has been cleared for a full match this week.

2 Likes

Is Begley right for next week? Can’t wait for this kid to return. Now that Lav is injured surely Begs is top of list for a return?