#16 Josh “Fridge” Begley

Yeah i know Mynott is injured. Thats my point. Begley was selected as being almost only one left. Disagree that Long isn’t up to it. He has never really been given a go.

1 Like

Pretty much.

He was just rusty with the ball in hand, it wasn’t like he couldn’t get anywhere near it.

Serviceable first game back! Gotta keep playing him every week will get better.

6 Likes

I thought Begley made a LOT of mistakes. In line with his VFL form.

Interesting that Houlahan doesn’t even enter the conversation in here…not even once…his statistics are pretty similar to Begley, if not better. (I know Begley showed more prior to injury)

Perhaps Laverde will be considered for next week…assuuming he doesn’t get injured tomorrow…which he probably will.

Still looks off the mark i reckon. but didnt look out of his depth at least

Would be better served by building some form in the vfl but I thought it was a good game considering his injury and limited game time since.

Had at least 4 shots on goal and had a hand in a few others. Looked rusty but I’d persist with him for a series of games, provided his form doesn’t drop.

Looked to have heavy legs and didn’t have the agility that he had, although that is to be expected after a year off with an ACL.

2 Likes

He looked as good as he did in the VFL games of previous weeks . Not very.

1 Like

Im stealing this gif

1 Like

He kicks 2-3, then you have to say he’s more than done his bit. Needs to get back to the tempo of AFL footy, so dropping him after one game would be counterproductive.

1 Like

I’ll take 4 shots on goal coming off a year off footy as a pass mark any day of the week

7 Likes

Looked a bit rusty.

At the end of the day if youre getting 4 shots at goal at least you’re getting into the positions.

He’s a decent kick so no doubt it won’t be a trend

1 Like

Dont underplay how much nervous energy he would have had too.

Will be better for the run.

Would normally slot those two set shots too.

1 Like

Would it be worth playing him in the reserves strictly as an inside midfielder for the next few weeks? He has all of the raw materials of a ‘inside bull’, he needs to learn how to get more of the ball though.

I think the Club drafted him with a fwd/mid type role in mind. His forte is definitely as a forward. His power and explosiveness are his main weapons. Was only behind Paddy in his draft year in terms of his short distance running results, however, the Club were grooming him for more mid time prior to his ACL injury. I think they will ease him back via the fwd line and once he is settled, I can see more time in the mid. Didn’t they push him through there in the magoos upon his return?

I thought he was playing forward in the VFL. Might be wrong.

I have noticed the past few weeks, he can stand up in tackles and get his hands free against bigger bodies. I would love to see him play permanently in the midfield for a few games, and see what happens.

@theDJR could confirm, but coulda sworn that he played through the mid at some stage.

He overwhelmingly played high forward and got few touches (not Houlahan-like, but not the number you’d expect from the raves here).

So at least he’s been consistent in the VFL and AFL…

He plays his best when deeper in the forwardline or when around the ball. He seems to get lost playing anywhere in between.