#16 Josh “Fridge” Begley

Oh yeah, that would go down well with the entire group.

1 Like

The entire group can gagf after the performances they have put in so far.

Fair point.

Thank Christ you’re not running the club

I have a machine that allows me to go into the past and look at this ■■■■■■■ club making the same stupid list management decisions every year.

Again, nothing against Begs, just frustrating.

Yeah, we wouldn’t want any success now would we. Happy with the past 15 years are you?

Signing three young players is hardly a bad choice. None of them are spuds and it is quite standard for clubs to extend the contract of their young group. Begs is also very young still (only 19) so it is difficult to see why you have a problem retaining him?

Now if we were re-signing Myers for 3 years…

Or Worsfold for 2 more!

No problem if we think these kids will be good, but none are proven, so why extend their contracts?
I would doubt that there are clubs out there offering huge contracts to them.

That Sydney guy.

Perhaps because we set them targets and they have met them? Perhaps because we like what we see and don’t want to lose them? Perhaps because your shiny new AFL draftees who have minimal game time depreciate quicker than a Jeep driving off the lot and you don’t want another team getting in their ear? There are plenty of contracts that you might kick up about, these arn’t them.

5 Likes

So we should delist talented young players after their initial two year contracts before we know whether they’ll make it? Or just the ones who have injuries? The only way you can keep them on the list to find out if they’re good enough, is to re-contract them.

I don’t understand how anyone could have an issue with this

1 Like

Someone with a better memory might be able to tell me the last player to do a knee with us? It’s an injury’touch wood’ we have managed to avoid mostly.

I really hope that it doesn’t hold Fridge back too much as I think he has some qualities that are unique to our list.

Good size, skilled and moves well for his size.

I had him staking a claim for a midfield position in the next year or two but this will probably be a set back.

Next year I wouldn’t mind trying him off the halfback line if McKenna moves up the field.

Begley has similar attributes to Hibberd in my opinion but with better disposal.

Was it Licha and Dempsey in that one quarter?

Alex Browne?

That Licha and Dempsey game was a shocking day for the club.

Both were early in the game if I can recall correctly.

Brown I thought for certain was going to make it. Not sure what happened there but he looked to have quite a few AFL attributes.

First qtr of ANZAC day game.

I don’t remember the year though.

1 Like

Dat side-step tho

1 Like

First qtr of Carlton 2011, that day we did pretty well to scrap a draw given those circumstances

3 Likes

I maintain that if not for his injuries Winderlich would have been one of our clubs greats, had all the qualities you need in a Brownlow Medalist; speed, skills, smarts , goals, marking and contested ability.

12 Likes