#16 Josh “Fridge” Begley

Yep, that’s why I like him as a mid and the fact that he keeps his centre of gravity down low and powers away.

Hopefully this knee doesn’t inhibit that too much.

Edit. Just realised you are talking about brown. I liked him a lot in what I saw at VFL level. Should have made it.

1 Like

Yeah I was a big fan of Browne but unfortunately he just kept getting injuries at the wrong time.

I think Brown was a victim of a injuries and turbulent time tbh; who knows what he could have been in a more stable club.

As for Begley, I agree, I don’t really see him as a forward. He is an awkward size and athlete, kinda stuck in between a small and tall; and mediums these days need to have serious weapons. For me his future lies up the ground and on the ball; where his size, strength and skill could be best utilized. Hope he plays more midfield and even HBF next year in the 2’s before becoming a mid/for.

1 Like

Correct.
It was the same day Fletch kicked a bomb goal from 75m. He also laid a game saving tackle against Jeff Garlett.
Unfortunately it ended in a draw but Fletch was huge!!

4 Likes

I think the opposite actually. Richmond has a team full of in between sized players. Apart from ruckmen, successful teams are playing fewer tall predominantly marking players than ever.
Richmond this week had only Riewoldt and Rance (who both have great mobility) and possibly Garthwaite (haven’t seen enough of him). No other predominantly talls that I can see. Next closest would be Grimes.
Sydney had only Buddy (hardly a tall, just big) and Grundy.
No third tall at either end, not even a second tall.
They have no equivalent of JD or Hooker for example.,

2 Likes

Now I remember. Crazy game.

Simpson kicked the ball OOF in the last minute. Zakka snapped a behind.

Damn that was an eventful match.

Fridge has midfield all over him.

1 Like

JFYI, Buddy is Hooker’s height, while being overall bigger.

1 Like

Weird. Mine just has magnets …

3 Likes

Sydney have Aliir^2 as well, the SCG is also a ground which suits playing one less KPF and it helps if the one you do have is Buddy Franklin.

Garthwaite is a Tall with good endurance I think.

But you’re right the good teams; Rich, Syd, Geel, Coll all play with a short forwardline that inundate the opposition prime movers with pressure and can convert. They do this partly because they don’t have talls and partly because it works. We seem to be trying to replicate the Adelaide/West Coast model with a traditional 3 talls (one who plays as the running man - Stewart/Lynch/Darling).

I think we need to try and combine the strengths of both, to do that you need to combine the structure of a tall set up and the pressure of a small one. This means you need to be quick and can’t really afford to carry players who aren’t. With Stewart and Daniher we have 2 mobile KPF, we need to surround them with even faster smalls/mediums who can kick, set up and pressure goals; and if we are lucky we could find an athletic FF/Ruck who can allow Daniher and Stewart to play their natural positions and not detract too much from forward pressure.

Begley, I feel, whilst he is powerful and has a good endurance base doesn’t have the top end speed our forwardline needs. In that way he is similar to Laverde.

2 Likes

Yes, and over 20m he’d beat Hooker by 25.
We’re talking “talls” as in players whose main attribute is contested marking contests, and how much having them in the side robs you of speed and ability to apply pressure. Buddy is elite in the pressure/speed side of things, Hooker is whatever the opposite is of elite.

So that pretty much rules Buddy out.

2 Likes

Daniher is not mobile. He runs alright in a straight line to get up the ground on the lead etc, but competing for a loose ground ball, he is on a par with the slow ruckmen.

Now that is just plain wrong.

6 Likes

Extremely wrong.

2 Likes

LOL. he is mobile enough to be a 200cm midfielder, if he really wanted to be. Not sure which Joe Daniher youre watching.

2 Likes

Someone needs to break out the highlight reel

1 Like

5 Likes

Bring out the GIFs!!!

2018 model Joe (with added OP) may as well be leunberger.

4 Likes