#16 Josh “Fridge” Begley

Nah. Maybe the OP version, but you’d be hopeful he gets over that, otherwise he gets a bullet.

If he doesn’t come back every bit the physical specimen he was, then who ever let him play should be tarred, feathered and paraded down Napier street

1 Like

WTF?

1 Like

Yes, Yes I know he has snapped a few very good goals in crowded situations, over his shoulder etc., but for every highlight like that, there is one where he couldn’t run onto a ground ball that went over his opponent and all he had to do was turn and run, pick it up and kick, or when he tried to stop and duck and hoped his opponent would magically run straight past him so he could get back on his left, and I just can’t get out of my head one where he was running clear towards goal about 30 out, the ball in front and his opponent 5m behind and he made a meal out of kicking it off the ground.
I wish I could be watching Joe the midfielder.

That gif shows Essendon at its finest - 6 possessions to gain 20m and only 1 player in our forward line (who is covered and another 2 opposition players holding space) to kick it to when we finally do get a clean possession on the wing.

2 Likes

joe can midfield tho…

Yes he can. But wtf is he doing up there?

for every instance like that there are 3-4 where he’s cleanly gathered a ground ball. He’s probably the most agile player in the league 197+

If you can’t see that Daniher is one of the most agile 200cm players in the entire history of the game, you probably have some very strong confirmation bias going on

2 Likes

This forum has a way of distorting the discussion.
Joe is very mobile for a 200cm player - yes, I agree.
Joe is very mobile. full stop - no he isn’t.
Joe is so mobile he could be a mid - not even close.

Anyway, this is the Begley thread. The discussion only arose when someone said Begley was “in between” size and therefore struggles for a role. I replied that “in between” size forwards were the go in the modern game and that talls who were less mobile than the “in betweeners” were becoming a liability.
Great, Joe is mobile for a 200cm player. And Hooker is a great mark, but slow as a wet week.
Their lack of mobility is a problem in modern football IMO.
Let’s leave it at that.

Technically, you could make an argument midfielders can be some of the least athletic players on the field

Josh Kennedy is a slow midfielder. So was Watson, Diesel Williams, Sam Mitchell and a host of other good, even great, mids.
Throw a ground ball into a group of any of those guys, plus Joe, Hooker and the vast majority of tall KP players (other than the likes of Franklin, Rance etc), and the “slow” mids will get it 99% of the time. It is not just running speed, it is reflexes and mobility and vision and awareness in traffic.

1 Like

I thought we were talking about Joe’s athletic ability? which, given he is at 100% would be among the best among players his height. You’ll get no argument from me that he would make a poor midfielder.

Well, you could leave it at that - but I’d rather leave at this - Hooker is slow and slowing, true. You are dead wrong about Joe, almost everyone knows it, and joining them in your argument is ridiculous.
Let’s leave it at that, eh?

It is not ridiculous to join them in an argument that says you need to be careful about how many tall players with limited or poor mobility you can carry in a team in the modern game.

You (and “almost everyone”) seem to think Joe’s mobility is good, and I think it is good for a 200cm player, but not good compared with many other key position players who aren’t 200cm.

PS It’s the Begley thread.

Well - you’ve gone and done it again!
Joe is not a ‘200cm player with limited or poor mobility’. He is in fact, an extremely mobile and agile 200cm player. The exact opposite of what you are saying.

If you wanted to make a comparison with midfielders, you could have said ‘Joe is not as mobile or agile as a midfielder’. Pretty simple. You are just digging a deeper hole - and yeah, I know it’s the Begley thread and you want to ‘leave it there’.
The best way to ‘leave it there’ would be to say "ok, I farked up’, or ‘I didn’t explain that properly’, not insinuate that others have it wrong.

1 Like

Who is more mobile? Joe with OP or Big Boy with no ACL?

ACLs are overrated. Who needs a stable knee?

Oh my. I understand now. I am not allowed to leave it until I agree with you.
You’re are just being argumentative now and trying to turn it into a major argument.
And I do understand you have to have the last word. Go for it.

Nice. How to bring Begley back into the thread. Thank God.

2 Likes