#16 Tayte Pears

Surely this is the third or fourth ‘where is tayte Pears at?’ thread since he last played a game.

If he gets his body right (which is looking doubtful) I reckon he could still carve out a decent career. I doubt it will be with us though.

Sometimes you have to make a decision to benefit the individual.

There would be a small handful of teams that would see value in playing him in their side.

He has had a lot of bad luck that has hindered his progress, but he still has some tools suited to the modern game.

We need to actively seek out these clubs, and do a deal, even if it only means swapping 4th Rd Picks, so that Tayte can play regular senior footy in 2015.

We can’t expect that he would be happy to play VFL and be backup only.

Going off VFL reports, i think we should be promoting Steinberg, and giving him a taste of senior footy next year.

Too risky to simply drop him off the rookie list.Sounds like he is making steady improvement.

Sometimes you have to make a decision to benefit the individual.
There would be a small handful of teams that would see value in playing him in their side.
He has had a lot of bad luck that has hindered his progress, but he still has some tools suited to the modern game.
We need to actively seek out these clubs, and do a deal, even if it only means swapping 4th Rd Picks, so that Tayte can play regular senior footy in 2015.
We can't expect that he would be happy to play VFL and be backup only.
Going off VFL reports, i think we should be promoting Steinberg, and giving him a taste of senior footy next year.
Too risky to simply drop him off the rookie list.Sounds like he is making steady improvement.

Given state of GWS backline you would think they could use a player like Pears back there - much as we might need him when Flecth eventually retires.

Has taken the mantle off Gumby as the potential what if player.

Could we send him off to melbourne or GWS at the end of the year for something, maybe upgrade our end of first round pick?

Could we send him off to melbourne or GWS at the end of the year for something, maybe upgrade our end of first round pick?

I think the best we could hope for, if it was a trade with Melb or GWS, would be swapping our 3rd Picks.
So possibly moving up 4-7 spots.

Thing about upgrading later picks is it needs to get you beyond the threshold of missing out on a kid that you wanted.

No point upgrading out pick 50 odd in 2012 when we picked Van Unen, we could have picked him at 80 if we wanted.

*If we're gonna play a backman forward, it should be this guy.

* note the if

I really like Tayte, but there are quite a few guys ahead of him ATM.

I'm not even sure what his strengths are anymore. He's medium height, average pace, average kick, good spoiler though tends to give away a lot of frees, he's an ok mark of the ball but not like Hooker/Fletch/Hurley when it comes to intercepts...

A lot of the above could be due to not stringing games together at AFL level, and not having 100% confidence in his body.

Personally I'd pick him to play a final over Van Unen or Ashby, and I think I'd prefer Tayte down back over Hardy, if say Fletch or Hibberd or Dempsey were to miss (though I'd probaby prefer Gleeson in Dempseys case). So yeah I'd like to have him on our list next year if possible.

I can't see Tayte getting a role up forward, or in our midfield TBH, I think he just has to work hard in the VFL and hope he performs well when he gets his chance, which I'm sure will arise at some point later in the year.

west coast will get him.. use him properly.. and instill confidence in him and he'll be a good player again . Or Freo... won't be anything here.. had his time..

I thought Pears would be a Wellman type player but injuries have cruelled him.

Has a lot of ability but the body just lets him down. He is very unlucky in that if Fletcher wasn't the bionic man he'd be playing a lot more games.

Worth persisiting with unless we can trade him for a forward.

Most of us have seen very little of him lately so we can only go on what we remember from his limited games in the seniors over the last couple of years.

Actually, after playing all 23 games in 2009, he's played 10,9,10,11 games respectively from 2010-2013, which is actually more than I thought. It feels like he played only 2-3 games last year but 11 games? That's hardly languishing in the VFL...It could be that Bomber just doesn't see a spot for him or it could be that he will be called upon as soon as he is fit.

There's been a lot of tinkering this year. As 'solid' as our backline is we've still seen Gleeson, Ashby and Van Unen get games, and Myers and Hardy have been down there a bit too. So either it will soon be Pears' turn to come into the side or he will have to see what the future holds for him when Hird returns (if he gets another contract).