Former #17 James Stewart

I don’t rate his marking ability or output, for a big guy he is marginally better than Josh Green or Tippa in the air. If he can improve this then he will become a major weapon. As it is, he holds his spot and I’m happy with the pick up to now. Such a threat as a 3rd tall who could kick 30 to 40 goals next year. I don’t think we’d see the same result if he was the 2nd tall.

2 Likes

On the lead his marking is great. He is not a stop, prop, wrestle, mark kind of player and he doesn’t need to be.

3 Likes
17 Likes

He’d have to be the best value recruit of the year

Should see bigger impact from him next year now that he would be confident in his place in team, will likely see some pinch hitting in ruck, and us improving inside 50 numbers.

Also turned down fark Carlton for us. Legend.

5 Likes

He’s a beauty.
Improved his ability to contest the mark, very quick for his size, runs all day.

Love him.

Yeah, if SSS have as much as an impact as he did then…lid off.

He crumbs and goals as well as any of our smaller forwards. Is great on the snap. And that pass to Tippa.

1 Like

I remember posting

KEEP

HIM

IN

after his first match, he didn’t let me down :slight_smile:, and I’ve said before love having another James in the team.

7 Likes

Pass to Colyer was better, cm perfect.

3 Likes

Gee, he’s got some pace for a big fella.
I’d love to see some more run down tackles from him this season.

Just needs to keep working on using his height and size to advantage.

He has everything else already.

I’d forgotten just how often he and Fantasia linked-up, esp during the first two-thirds of the season.

Exactly, and I like how he remains calm close to goal. But can also go back a kick the long goal. He’s very impressive. Look forward to seeing how he backs it up in 2018.

1 Like

the only good commentary in that clip was jason bennett and bt, wtf.

foad basil.

2 Likes

Runs to the right spots…

Calm in traffic…

Makes good decisions…

Very smart footballer.

Interesting to read how he was rated back in draft year 2012. Some strengths have held true (in blue), and he has worked on those deficiencies (red). We have successfully played him as a forward, but have we used him down back much?

3 Likes

Thus begins the “Stewart - Forward or Back?” debate.

6 Likes

wing for mine…

3 Likes

To be fair this red part:

“mostly playing as a tallish flanker, certainly doesn’t scream “focal point key forward” at this early stage”

is still entirely applicable. He has worked on his overhead marking but he still plays more like a flanker than a KPP for mine. And in our forward line it suits perfectly.

3 Likes

How many goals in the highlights reel did he get by staying on the ground in a marking contest?

Agree on both counts. He seems to take more marks running back to goal than leading out from goal. Not sure if it’s good coaching or just the way he plays but it works well.