Former #17 James Stewart

Maybe we have a player yes but he's going to have to dislodge one of Hooker or JD for that key forward spot....which won't happen.

His best chance would be as a 3rd tall forward target/2nd ruck but that depends on how the Woosha sees the setup and dynamics of our team. Some teams use employ this setup with success but I’m not convinced one way or the other, especially considering Leuenburger is a ruck-all-day type ruckman.

Stewart would really have to impress and perform big time over the preseason to make it a non-negotiable for the coaches.

GWS should be the benchmark next year with
Johnson Patton Smith
Deledio/Greene Lobb Cameron

It may not happen in round 1 but I see Hooker JD & Stewart as our Patton Lobb & Cameron with Raz Walla Howlett Green Laverde Langford Francis and pretty much half the list that can play through the forward line. That’s a lot of talent and a lot of forward combinations to create headaches for opposition teams. Exciting times ahead.

I reckon he'll be our Majak: when someone gets injured, he'll come in and do some nice things and everyone will get excited, then when JoeD or Hooker are fit he'll be back to the 2s again.

So he’s not “the new Coleman”?

Hope it’s not Gary…

Different strokes for different folks…

What’s a lid? /s

I reckon he'll be our Majak: when someone gets injured, he'll come in and do some nice things and everyone will get excited, then when JoeD or Hooker are fit he'll be back to the 2s again.

If you open the Majak Door he might be.

If i were you, id close that door and Lockett

If i were you, id close that door and Lockett

What about a key hole Plugger?

Wanted him from day dot could be our ruck forward we always needed

Maybe we have a player yes but he's going to have to dislodge one of Hooker or JD for that key forward spot....which won't happen.

His best chance would be as a 3rd tall forward target/2nd ruck but that depends on how the Woosha sees the setup and dynamics of our team. Some teams use employ this setup with success but I’m not convinced one way or the other, especially considering Leuenburger is a ruck-all-day type ruckman.

Stewart would really have to impress and perform big time over the preseason to make it a non-negotiable for the coaches.

There are quiet a few possibility’s for him I recon as a key fwd.

If one of Hooker or dana get injured (obvious).
Or if one of Hurley or Harts get injured. Or Steward plays so well in the 2 and Harts is struggling down back. Hooker may have to play back and Steward fwd to take his place.

Fair chance he will play quiet a few games I recon.

James Stewart a big addition to Essendon attack

Sam McClure

As football clubs, Essendon and Greater Western Sydney couldn’t be more different.

One is only a few years away from celebrating its 150th anniversary; the other is the newest team in the competition.

One was agonisingly close to what would have been its debut on the grand final stage; the other finished as wooden spooner, following a tumultuous year.

One plays in front of 75,000 fans regularly; the other struggles to get to 20,000.

But James Stewart has found an intrinsic similarity.

“One thing I loved about the Giants was the close-knit nature of the group,” he says. "We all got there as 18-year-old kids and we all lived together and that’s something that I’ll always treasure.

"But I feel like there are very similar bonds here (at Essendon) … I’m not sure if it’s because of what’s happened (the supplements saga) or it’s just the culture of the footy club … you could say it’s a bit of both.

“It’s a super-strong footy club with the stuff they’ve gone through for the last four or five years … a lot of the players are so well unified, it’s impressive.”

After being forced to live out of home and fend for himself in Western Sydney, the 22-year-old is living temporarily back in the family home in South Yarra with his parents and younger brother.

His girlfriend Julia – a Sydneysider who’s studying journalism – is likely to move to Melbourne early next year.

"I said to her: ‘you can steer clear from sports journalism for sure’! "

The son of a Collingwood player, Craig Stewart, James had a choice to go to one of the Magpies’ two most hated rivals: Carlton or Essendon.

He initially ended up at the Giants because the Pies decided not to take him as a father-son selection, a controversial decision at the time.

Stewart grew up a one-eyed Collingwood fan, but he said his dad kept well out of his decision-making process.

“There was a tough period there where I was trying to weigh up where would be my best fit, and I didn’t tell him this, but I wished someone could have come and almost made the decision for me … he took a back seat.”

Stewart has been back training for two full weeks with the red and black.

At 196 centimetres and 93 kilograms, he’s an imposing figure to add to the Bombers’ forward line.

This time last year, Stewart was flying in the Giants’ pre-season. He was selected for the first-round side to play Melbourne. But it would be the last game he played for the franchise club.

Now, he’s looking to form a meaningful partnership with fellow young gun Joe Daniher. The two were born on the same day – March 4, 1994.

“I’ve had quite a bit to do with Joe, with underage footy and Vic Metro, so we know each other reasonably well,” Stewart says.

“He’s a great person, he’s really helped me adjust with coming in here (to the club).”

One of the first things that strikes you about Stewart is how genuine he is.

As he talks in the locker room, you notice his eyes dart around, smiling at each bit of banter shared by his new teammates.

He’s confident but not arrogant. Intelligent but not pompous.

It’s difficult for him to hide the love he has for his new club.

"I mean, I can’t speak for the guys who are coming back but you can just see they’re so enthusiastic to train, it’s rubbing off on everyone from the very start.

"I probably have never been to a club where you’ve got a group of guys so excited to start day one of pre-season, do your time trials … do everything.

“It’s feeling like a real football club.”

In the lead-up to the 2017 season, most of the talk about Essendon will surround Jobe Watson, Dyson Heppell, Cale Hooker and other high-profile players who are returning from a 12-month doping suspension.

If it’s not about them, it will probably be cult hero Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti or the already-established midfield gun Darcy Parish.

But Stewart embodies so much of what Essendon wants to be in the future.

The Bombers are desperate to recreate their brand in the competition, away from the dark doping cloud that has hovered over the club for five years.

Stewart is young, talented, well-spoken and, significantly, he represents a new breed of Essendon players, detached from the scandal that has rocked one of the game’s most famous symbols.

The club, too, will hope that, through the likes of Stewart, it will soon be free to just worry about one thing: footy.

Journo writes an article about a bloke who was not even on and AFL list in 2012 and who was not an EFC player through the entirety of the Saga. Journo still manages to devote around a third of the article to the Saga. How’s that ‘clear air’ thing going?

1 Like

‘It’s feeling like a real football club’

Probably because the fake ****ing entity he has come from is not and will never be a real football club

"I probably have never been to a club where you’ve got a group of guys so excited to start day one of pre-season, do your time trials … do everything.

Scha wing!

'It's feeling like a real football club'

Probably because the fake ****ing entity he has come from is not and will never be a real football club

Yeah, nah. They are in the same comp we are in, so that makes them a footy club. Filled with 18 yo when he arrived, l wouldn’t expect it to feel the same as arriving at a well established club like EFC. Hope he plays on ANZAC day and sticks it right up the Pies for not selecting him when they had the chance.

'It's feeling like a real football club'

To be fair, GWS will probably feel like a real footy club if they manage to last say 140+ years.

Journo writes an article about a bloke who was not even on and AFL list in 2012 and who was not an EFC player through the entirety of the Saga. Journo still manages to devote around a third of the article to the Saga. How's that 'clear air' thing going?

Wait til the players get booed off the field when they win in SA & WA, still plenty of ■■■■■■ air to come…bring it.

Sam McClure

The Bombers are desperate to recreate their brand in the competition, away from the dark doping cloud that has hovered over the club for five years.

My fav parts. So he’s “genuine” as opposed to what? Insincere?
And doping cloud for five years? Really?

How come he only played one game for GWS ?

Cause there’s every chance he’s all shades of useless

Sam McClure

My fav parts. So he’s “genuine” as opposed to what? Insincere?
And doping cloud for five years? Really?

Well to be fair, 3 is closer to five than say…

the thousands of drugs that Essendon players were injected with in their drug dungeons and stuff.

Since when have we started to believe that any journo knows the first ■■■■■■■ thing about the whole shitfight that hasn’t been spoon fed to them direct from AFL house? We need to start ignoring the Saga ■■■■ when they write an article about one of our players and just read the pertinent bits, for our own sanity. I hate 'em, they can all FOAD, but lets all learn to engage our own filters.

Cause there's every chance he's all shades of useless

say it aint so.