Former #17 James Stewart

Was much better than in game one. Hope he keeps improving but at this stage he would be due to start in the VFL.

Unsurprising seeing he was the number one tall target in JL 1 - JD playing released the pressure on Stewart.

Still think his intensity and aggression will hold him back unless he works on it (can you?)

That kick late on to find Redman was REALLY underrated (one commentator credited it to Goddard lol)

I can’t help but keep noticing this bloke. Any footage I’ve seen of the boys this year and I keep seeing the #17 and thinking… that was alright, who was that.

Has kicked a goal and a behind in each game… and completely shanked one from memory, so he is getting shots at the sticks.

I think at present we are all still a bit cautious given we got him for nothing. But if he has a massive game at some stage this season, I can see the bandwagon filling very very quickly. Does plenty of good things.

Not that we need one, but I wonder how he would go as a KP defender?

1 Like

Really need him to develop his ruck skills. We need a good 2nd fwd/ruck, like JJ for the crows

I was under the impression that his great strength was his mobility. I read somewhere that he had been used on the wing with some success. In the JLT he was used as a deep forward. I wonder if he would be better suited as a high forward?

1 Like

Why would we play him in that role? That’s what Joe does best.

So what do the two half forward flankers do?

Be small, unlike Stewart.

1 Like

Agree, he has the Carlisles about him I think he would be a good KPD.
It’s much easier to be a quality KPD, thats why you draft tall forwards if they aren’t good enough send them back and they can be very good.

It will be interesting to see how he progresses.

He hasn’t really stood out for me yet. 1 goal he sharked from Jobe and the other was a miracle/fluke.

Having said that it’s only JLT and he’s going to get better, plus he’s likely to get some opportunities with Hooker and JoeD unlikely to play 22 games each - Stewart could be the guy that gets a bit of confidence and never looks back.

I don’t really trust the VFL for developing tall forwards, games are often played on crappy surfaces in windy conditions, often with substandard service from the mids and so it’s hard for them to find consistency IMO.

Hopefully he can build some chemistry with our forward line for when he gets tested properly.

1 Like

What reminds you of Carlisle?

His height?

He has both a Last, and a First name??

1 Like

Yes but both of Stewart’s names are first and last names. I never heard of anybody called Carlisle Jake.

1 Like

But if Carlisle’s first and middle names are Jacob, then the you could rearrange them as Carlisle Jacobs.

1 Like

^^ Just taking the piz bully, for all I know u might be right.

Something I’m sure to watch for now. . .

He is not marking as well against his opponents as you would expect from a KPF, but is working very very hard on his defensive work to hold the ball in F50.

Thats not a bad thing, to me it might push Brown or SMACK out but certainly does not push either of Joey or Hooksy out if available.

Right now its a coin toss Round 1 Stewart or Smack, with TBell an outside smoky if we go for 3 tall forwards. Dont expect TBell to run with the athleticism of Stewart or Smack though.
Actually, I think Begley might make it a very difficult selection on Thursday March 23, if he can back up the 4 goals from last week.

He is a tall flanker, who can pinch-hit in the ruck (but is decidedly average there). Doesn’t mean he can’t develop into a KPP, but that’s not his natural bag. Good agility - like joey - I’d like them both to play fairly high (not that kind) half forward with Raz/Parish/Begley/Goddard rotating through the other flank…

Stewart Daniher Raz
BegWalla. Hooker. Langverde

Gives us some nice height upfield, for kick ins etc

I like your approach to the forward line, just tweaking it a little further:

StewSmack Daniher RazGreen
BegWalla. Hooker. Langverde

This way we can make Smack tall enough and Stewart more competitive, a Raz that never misses (maybe we need a Josh Daniher), a BegWalla could lead to a permanent Blitz meltdown and Langverde makes perfect sense as a mid forward rotation.

A DaniHooker could be impressive too.

1 Like

Langverde

Much to like. Hybrid.

1 Like