Former #17 James Stewart

Dr.Quinn Medicine Woman?

Kinky.

Hardly revisionism, we definitely went too far down that path, Murphy, Zantuck, Richie Cole, Cupido, Alvey, Ben Haynes, bringing back Heff, bringing back Fish etc etc. Allen and salmon probably get a pass for their one good years respectively, but (outside PhcMee) they’d be about the only ones - out of a very very long list.
Sheedy and the club as a whole refused to accept that side was done and needed serious rejuvenation.

As an aside, I’m inclined to treat ruckmen as a very separate issue to other player types. You just need one who’s seasoned and ready to go, whether you’re rebuilding or not.

1 Like

The probelem was he had been an average player in a crap side for about 8 years before he had that one good season.
Then during the preseason we were pumping up his tyres like he was gonna win a brownlow and he got injured and hardly played again.
He got moved around a lot by Sheeds and wasnt really that talented, and he ■■■■■■ off a lot of blitzers because he kept getting contracts for his leadership and because he bled red and black.
I liked him but his whipping boy status was deserved.
As mentioned in other threads our whipping boys are heaps better than they were back in 2010.

None of that is true except for the ankle injury.

Look I know in your eyes Sheeds could do no wrong, but if you really think we were some kind of flag threat in 2004, you are the revisionist - we were the classic ‘making up the numbers’ that year. We were no farking chance & winning a final, wowee, what an achievement for a club that prides itself on flags.
Even though we are all laughing at Hawks current predicament, at least Clarkson has got the balls to realise they hit their peak in 2015 & is rebuilding now rather than wait for the slow slide like the Cats are currently doing.

Yeah, 2002 was too early to call it. We’d only recently won a flag so I can see why Sheeds and the club would cling to the notion that we could get back to the top. However by the end of 2004 I remember thinking that we needed a serious rebuild, from that point on is when I think it is fair to say the club was in denial.

3 Likes

My memory is hazy, remind me again how good he was?

Fark me.

Thought this thread was about Stewart…

2 Likes

Who?

Exactly

Agree, sort of, but I don’t reckon we’ d have won the flag in 93 without him at full forward.

1 Like

Yep and that is why Somerville’s 93’ turned me around on him. He did enough and fish kicked goals

1 Like

P Somerville’s screamer on West Coast’s Dean Irving in 1993 earned him enough credits to last through to the end of 1998.

1 Like

The denial era.

So, apparently Stewart was good today.

Nobody cares. This is the Shave Sheddy revisionist thread now.

1 Like

Shave Sheddies.

Not a Hipsters thing …

Sure was. Presented well, marked strongly, kicked straight(ish).

Imposed & composed.

2 Likes