Former #17 James Stewart

Was super important as a hit up option vs collingwood on the wings, had an almost break out qtr, could explode in a game for a bag o 4/5 soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Francis won’t push him out. This guy is a super important to our forward structure. An agile 3rd tall with goal sense. He just missed some shots tonight. He holds the ball too far over his right leg and seems to slice from set shots. Better on the run.

Butchered a lot of chances but still played. Very very good game. His marking was really good tonight

1 Like

I deserve some credit for whinging in the last quarter about his fade-outs — came back with a vengeance after that.

1 Like

His first quarter was the best quarter of his career

2 Likes

Will be a better player than Francis and Langford.

3 Likes

Better than the one where he kicked 3?

He’s probably had better games but that first quarter from him was something different.

2 Likes

That kick to Colyer right at the end of the match - you don’t appreciate how good it was live. Watched it again and it’s a ■■■■■■■ beauty. To kick 50M across your body like that and hit someone who doesn’t have to break stride at all - rare type of skill.

11 Likes

Franics is a backman right?

1 Like

From memory a couple of his misses were under serious pressure and he did well for a both man to get boot to ball. Nice work rate, plenty of score involvement. Great to have some VFL depth because it is going to take a bit to push him out.

The best game he has played even without the goals.

He is so valuable to our side and his contribution takes the pressure of Daniher, yes, but Cale also.

Cale swung back at times last night and we were fine. The great thing about Hooker is he put his hand up and took responsibility to give Joey a chop out up forward- didn’t whinge like that prat Carlisle- and developed into a contested beast up forward that gave opposition headaches. he knew the importance of his role for us and you could see the effort and pressure he put himself under to succeed in that role (with a great attitude though)

Stewart’s emergence has released some of the pressure for Cale to be on song every week which is fantastic for us.

3 Likes

Benny-Phone well said about Cale. He will finish between 30-40 goals for the year I would think but his role in the treat can’t be understated. Real team man. Stewart does allow us to always have the two big guys. I love the pressure Stewart applies when he doesn’t have the ball. The 3 talls are very different players who complement each other.

1 Like

He’s normally a reliable kick for goal. The main thing is he keeps putting himself in dangerous positions and he would normally convert.
As stated above, he’s taking pressure off other talks up forward and he’s great for our structure.

He’s important to our side.

1 Like

Be awesome to play in a forwardline with Daniher and Hooker, only having to worry about their third best defender. Exploited it beautifully last night.

I think you must have been watching the game from the mcg. Did you not wonder why they didn’t turn the lights on? Stewart was great tonite. Only knock was missed opportunities and that’s an aberration as he’s one of our most reliable set shots

7 Likes

I think we have a player here, great to see him take some grabs tonight. He gets ignored a lot with the other targets we have but you can see the team trusting him more and more.

1 Like

We kicked 17 goals with zero goals 7 behinds combined contribution from Stewart and Fanta.
They both contributed but not on the scoreboard; both missed some sitters.
In the last qtr, Stewarts 55m perfect kick to a running Colyer, who goaled, was almost play of the night.

5 Likes

I thought he was very good last night. Contributed well.
He has been a great pick up. I think he has played about 23 games. Wait till he gets 50+ games under his belt and then we will really see the benefits of having him the team. Young players often drift in and out or fade out in the second half. He’ll overcome this with experience and confidence.
Its unusual that he and Raz combine for 0-7. I hope that doesn’t happen again.