Former #17 James Stewart

With his athleticism and skills he would make a good defender. Still only 25 yet to enter his prime.

He was pretty good as the third tall which is his main problem, he needs to be better than that.

What makes you so sure it was punishment and not a reward?? :smirk:

(Not that there’s anything wrong with that, …)

I don’t think anyone is acting like that at all. We’re just a bit light on for big blokes in the forward line atm.

2 Likes

I’ve always thought that too.

He could play at either end if required be very handy. I don’t know why the coaches haven’t thought of it themselves. Would give him great portability skills.

confirmed by Crow that Stewart will miss at least 2 weeks

Stewarts best is just shy of Danniher in my opinion. Still think he’s capable of it he just lost form for some reason, if he gets it back he’s a better option than Brown and Smack.

STEW

Not sure I agree with much of that, but hope he proves me wrong.

2 Likes

I think some forget easily how much improvement Stewart has shown since he arrived.

In a lot of respects he’s a poor mans Joe but his form was so good in his first season that he forced the selectors hands and we effectively had two CHF and a deep forward when no other side really does that.

The think that has cost him mostly is not that he can’t take a contested mark but more how many goals he has spurned. There were games where he could have had 3 or 4 goals but ended up with 1 goal 3.

He has all the tools to be a good player.

1 Like

I think what has changed dramatically with Stewart, if the VFL match is any indication (admittedly against weak opposition), is he now seems to have activated his beast mode, which was a knock on him.

In his first year he was the third tall who could run all day, with Stringer in the side, he can’t really have that role anymore. So if he can transition to a relative beast and take over the McKernan/Hooker role and give a focal point to the forward line; while Joe weaves magic accross half forward, and Stringer does whatever the hell he likes.

Add 1 part Raz, 1 part Walla, and 1 part Mozzie (when he’s ready), we have a heck of a forward line for another 5+ years.

6 Likes

The advantage that Stewart has over other beasts is his ability to outrun the bigger defenders that would have to match up on him if he lines up as our deepest forward.

He would still be required to push up the field but his speed could see him still get goals on the counter.

If he can add the beast mode like you say then we have a very versatile player.

1 Like

2 Likes

Really, with the quality smalls we have at his feet all we need for him to be able to do is compete against the stronger defenders and bring the ball to ground level, where he’ll have an advantage too.

Where he might have an edge over Smack is his ability to apply forward pressure. He won’t be able to play 2nd ruck nearly as well though so Daniher would likely need to play 2nd fiddle to Draper.

1 Like

I know I’m getting ahead of myself, but if Stewart can transform from a hard running but not too physical 199cm HFF…

Into a 100kg+ 199cm beast forward, who can still run and compete for the ball, then he may be able to at least be able to neutralise a ruck contest more effectively in the future as well, and have an advantage over the other ruck once it hits the ground.

But, yes, I am getting ahead of myself.

We also have to wait and see how Joe is evolving, he is listed as a 100kg player (99kg but he looks to have put on more) - these days, and may be developing a full beast mode as well.

We can dream, but there is still a lot to evolve and we need some more luck with keeping our KPP’s fit.

2 Likes

There is too much beast for one thread in here

1 Like

Some serious hype going on for someone who effectively played himself out of the side and hasn’t made a case for 12 mths.

1 Like

Yeah the comparisons to Joey are a bit much for a bloke that sits behind Brown and McKernan in the pecking order. I like him but he’s just a handy depth player at this stage.

2 Likes

So now he’s injured…sigh

Brown in this form, JD chiming back, Hooker… wow gonna be tough to get a game