Former #17 James Stewart

Keep 'em hungry keep 'em on their toes, its a good place for the team to be.

I do not understand the lack of love for Stewart, i reckon he is an excellent player, when he is on his game.

10 Likes

If Stewart can take strong grabs in packs, still has a tank and kicks bags in the VFL, there is no way he will not become best 22.

Brown will get games most of the time because he can cover for any of the Key Positions or 3rd tall back or forward, and if he keeps up his running I would even be tempted to play him as a winger.

Absolutely. When.

Very dangerous player if in form.

Yeah, when is the key word

He’s barely fired a shot for a year. He would want to do sonething this year.

We haven’t gotten to see Daniher, Stringer and Stewart playing in the forward line together, when all of them are fully fit. I hope we get to see that at some point this season.

Can’t see that happening for a while

He’s got Smack & Brown to get past, they are both however turning 29 this year. Whereas Stewart only turned 25 this year already.

Might not crack the senior team for another few years. Does he just persevere?

It’s true. Unless Brown gets injured in the next few weeks.

I would love to know how much ruck work he has been doing at training. Because he would be a perfect forward who could pinch-hit in the ruck.

can’t see him sticking around too long if he’s not getting a game.
isn’t there a mid season draft this year or something ?

surely if he wants to play senior footy he could prolly walk straight into prolly 10 or so teams with ease

Don’t think it allows for AFL clubs players moving. Only lower leagues players being taken.

Also WTF?

2 Likes

Brown has taken his exact role but a better kick so he’s getting the games.

Stewart has all required tools, he just for some reason went from 100 to 0 form seemingly overnight last year.

One of the strangest stories of this club.

1 Like

probs innit

3 Likes

Mos def

2 Likes

Disagree there Speedy, I think he and Redman would be the two most underrated players on our list.

Not a popular opinion on here, but I reckon he’s got each of Brown and Smack covered as a KPF, and will be keeping them both out of the side by year-end if he can stay fit.

I think arguments that he can’t clunk or use his body in marking contests are already out of date, and a few straight games in the VFL once he returns this year will be the confidence builder he needs to show more of what he can do.

3 Likes

I think has neither covered hence they always selected ahead of him by the coach.

Stewart only did well for us as a 3rd tall (with Hooker & JD getting best defenders), then Stringer took that spot & can provide midfield minutes.

As an actual kpf he failed as not strong enough in marking contests and his fwd craft with leading/resetting not there.

Was dropped accordingly and Brown came in after last year and stayed in for season despite Stewart being fit. As a CHF has him covered.

And Smack as a full forward who doesn’t get easily moved aside by bigger kpd has him covered, better contested mark and far better when in ruck. Smack also more goal nouse/dangerous up forward.

Stewart has looked the part in the VFL (much tougher opponents in AFL) as a kpf and obviously learning the craft, being more agressive & using his body as he should but I don’t see him being selected ahead of either.

Opportunity only likely to come via injury & here’s hoping our kpf’s have a better run than they have.

2 Likes

Brown is the weakest tall forward in marking contests you would ever see. The Stewart/Brown comparison has a lot of considerations, form being the biggest, but on purely strength and ability to take a contested mark, Stewart runs rings around Brown.

We’ll agree to disagree.

Like I said, in my view, pretty much everything in your post is now out of date. He’s a better player than you remember/have seen.

F*cker better prove me right now…

That we shall

Based on his solid VFL end of year and preseason however he still wasn’t looking like being picked.

It was JD/Brown combo. Then JD did his calf and Smack came in not Stewart.

If he had brown and smack covered, he would have been playing last season instead of languishing in the ressies. I reckon personally he doesnt have a future with us and will probably get traded but id love to be wrong

4 Likes

If the ball was kicked to a contest of Stewart v Brown, I’d say Stewart is more chance of taking the mark.

Brown’s skill is him having the engine to run and be the loose man for the uncontested mark.

So if Essendon are really humming along (like last week) Brown looks really good because he is able to get free.

If we are being restricted by our opposition, then Stewart looks to be the better option.