Former #17 James Stewart

But is this true RB? Or a Blitzfact?

Sometimes it’s just what is. Who is even saying for FACT that Stewart has OP??

Certainlty not the club - as if we would get a clear message from them. However the fact he is likely to miss such a chunk of the season with a groin injury suggests very strongly that he has OP.

Of course we played Daniher when he was sore. They rested him from the Sydney game due to soreness and then played him last week before curtains come down on his season. No way he should have played last week.

And basically if management was going to work for it, he should have been OK, … but he wasn’t, so it proved his condition is beyond “Management” so the last, most unwanted option becomes the only one, Surgery.

I don’t see what the issue is.

You want them to rest him for 4 weeks or something even though he says I feel OK, and then find out that Management wont work for him as he has a “Recalcitrant” case? ( Different surgical options have been also described, but they should be reserved to recalcitrant cases)
The only way to find out in these cases is to suck it & see, and they did, … and unfortunately, … it sucked. Surgery is the only option, and it’s better to know sooner rather than later, … say before the MSD perhaps?

Better than resting him for entire back half of last year and managing 4 games in total this year.

Your argument supports my case - our fitness team has NFI what they are dealing with. Also I have support for my argument from a close friend who’s a sports physio. He’s in regular contact with our fitness team and can’t believe how poorly we have managed Joe.

1 Like

Tell your friend I think he has no idea. That without being the guy treating him, there is absolutely no possible way he could know, and to make out that’s the case is a ridiculous assertion.

2 Likes

We played Stewart in pre season when he was already carrying something and this aggravated his injury.

1 Like

Well the fact my mate is about to treat Joe tends to suggest he knows a whole lot more than you or I.

1 Like

PM his name and I’ll see if Crowey confirms.

His exact quote:

“They couldn’t have ■■■■■■ Joe up more…why he plays ahead of schedule in the JLT, misses the next 6 then plays 3 games then misses then returns for 1 can only be described as a complete and utter ■■■■ up.”

1 Like

So latest report doesn’t read well for him. Highly doubt he now plays this year and clearly a major issue for him moving forward.

The club is continuing to take a patient approach to James Stewart’s rehabilitation, with the key forward failing to reach the expected mark after the mid-season bye.

“We were tracking James with his groin injury towards returning after the bye. He hasn’t quite got to 100 per cent and we’re not going to put him out there until he does,” Crow said.

“That leaves (his return date) a little indefinite, but we’re just going to keep plugging away, taking good advice on how to get that groin right up to full capacity before playing him in an AFL match.”

1 Like

When he comes back we’ll have JD, Smack, Brown, Stringer, Laverde and by then prob Gown as tall marking targets. Does he need to start being developed as a defender? Can’t see Hartley being on our list and Hooker and Hurley are 30+. Only really have BZT and Francis as key defenders coming through. Thoughts?

It sounds like the coaches see him as the long term successor to McKernan and/or Brown.

They’ve been challenging him to develop the contested side of his game, which, if he is to partner Daniher longterm he will need.

I think if they were gonna switch him into defense they would have done so when he had his starting 22 place usurped.

But, it is far from a silly suggestion and it’s one that a few on here have also raised. He certainly has a lot of qualities that would make a good defender, especially his combination of size, athleticism, and good skills.

4 Likes

Have to wonder if this is going to hit a scenario where needs surgery like JD eventually did

Shame for him as he would have had plenty of opportunity this year with the injuries we’ve had

10 Likes

Confirmed on the VFL coverage that Stewart is managing OP.

Yep, Stewart has OP according to the club. “One day feels fine, the next pulls up sore”. RIP.

He and Daniher share more than just a birthday now.

1 Like

I had a sneaky feeling they’d removed Stewart’s groins and put them onto Joey.

2 Likes

It’s OP, they are just calling it groin soreness for some reason.

1 Like

Half way through managing it next year, will probably have an operation.

4 Likes