Former #17 James Stewart

Which part of not picked for the last few months have you missed?

Oh yes, of course. The best thing for every player’s development is always to play them in the 1’s every week.

When did I say anything remotely like that? The fact that he was a late withdrawal from the VFL is irrelevant to the fact he’s not been picked to play seniors for 9 weeks & whether or not that is in any way connected to the possibility he wants to leave.

I believe he should have come back in when Smack got injured. I accept that his form may not have warranted it but for team balance I believe we needed him. We gave Colyer a re-call when he didn’t deserve it so why not at least pick a player who fills an obvious need?

1 Like

This might sound crazy but has he been considered as a back option? Got the height and athletic ability and long reach. I prefer him over Brown but obviously Brown has more consistent form.

I don’t think he has been available for selection since Smack got injured. Smack got injured against Freo (?), and IIRC Stewart hasn’t played the last 2 in the seconds, which encompasses 3wks including the VFL bye. I could be wrong, but that is how I recall it.

He’s 24. Get the feeling he’ll be a late bloomer and play solid footy at 27/28

2 Likes

He played the VFL game before the bye so has only missed this week. He wasn’t listed as injured last week or going into selection this week so I have to assume he was available for selection.

But not worth coming in according to the coaches. I tend to agree with them but hope he turns it around because we can use him right atm. But he is not a marking forward so that isn’t going to make a huge difference in the way we want. If Dea is available then you might find Hooker goes forward.

Exactly -I believe they got that wrong. Going into a game against Hawthorn in particular without a bigger bodied tall forward was a mistake I believe. At a minimum we should have brought in Hartley (who was our best in the VFL the previous match) or even Ridley who is more a replacement for Dea which would have allowed us to play Hooker forward. Having to switch out Stringer in the ruck is also a bad move I believe. I can’t see how bringing in 2 of our shortest players was ever going to be the right move, we gave up any & all flexibility.

2 Likes

Didn’t he go down injured?

Bone bruising, not sure if it was pre match or in the match?
His form hasn’t been demanding a gig either, particularly given there was a bye in there too.

And I’m a huge fan.

The thing is, the game wasn’t lost because of selection or because we missed a tall, we still kicked 16 goals for the game and scored a 100 points. The problem came down to the playing group as a whole having an poor game. I thought the coaches did well to help them not drop their bundle and keep fighting it out to the point that we only just lost the game. We weren’t thrashed (4 points), in the end it came down to an off game from a lot of players, especially the backline which was basically all out of sorts and all belted. Hurley beat Buddy then got towelled up by Gunston.

1 Like

Just as well you know 9/10 of fark all about football.
Makes ignoring your more imbecilic posts so much easier.

1 Like

Yes he was injured in the 1st qtr. Are you suggesting we knew that was going to happen & didn’t pick him because of this?

No thought it was the week before that’s all.

More like you don’t was ■■■■■■ obvoius last week that we were lacking a 2nd tall target Alir wouldn’t have taken so many intercept marks if Stewart was playing and again this week we didn’t go with another tall.

Bet if Stewart played Stratton wouldn’t have had a field day

You can see it differently but I firmly believe it was the lack of a key tall forward that effected the way we brought the ball forward. You may not have noticed Stratton taking 11 marks or believe it effected the outcome but I think he was a massive factor that we had nothing to counter with.

Just to add, the fact the coaches threw Hooker there late showed they could see the problem & that move was almost the match winner. Our selections restricted our flexibility.

2 Likes

How do you work which ones are more imbecilic?

1 Like

I reckon it would definitely be worth a try at some point. I’d delist Hartley and pick up a young KPF. Then throw Stewart into the mix of tall defenders

I was being polite.

3 Likes