Former #17 James Stewart

I’d rather make my 110-130k each year and not have to worry about getting another sub 300k in two years time.
Makes you wonder what Smack has been playing for?

1 Like

Really like Stewart. The competition for spots is good for him. Does need to work on his two-way running a bit more, but otherwise made good improvement this year.

1 Like

Probably about 100k.
Maybe less.

I think Crazy Bomber should have to start all of his posts with
This might sound crazy but…

3 Likes

This might sound crazy but that’s the best idea you’ve had.

5 Likes

You’d think maybe 150k? Not a bad, break glass in case of emergency?

Nup. He’d be on less than that. Honestly, about 120k max.

People have a very unrealistic view of AFL wages. And people like Smack are playing for love and peanuts. He’d be way better off financially, as would a lot of others, playing in a good standard suburban comp like the EFL, EDFL etc, where he could get the same, or very similar money, add the income from a full time job, have way less rigorous training regimes, be a able to have beers with his mates after games etc. But these guys cling to a dream, and won’t let go until the are kicked off the elevator one too many times. Hopefully for him this season may end up getting him a couple of years on reasonable (180 - 240k) money at last.

15 Likes

Geez, I didn’t know it was that cut throat. Imagine Jerret and Long are in the same boat?
Under a 100k is tough.

It’s just the nature of the beast. For every guy on big money there are several on not so good. But realistically, 100k for playing a game is a pretty good life.

5 Likes

Plus they get other aspects covered.

A lot of their meals during week, medical covered, perks via sponsors & coteries etc.

McKernan has certainly toiled away for a long time. It was a shame he had that serious hammy or he’d have probably got a really good payday contract wise.

2 Likes

Seriously, what would be the maximum dollars for any AFL players in the EFL or EDFL. Surely it’s not more than about $30K.

Gun FF at Noble Park was on 90k 10 years ago.

Yep some clubs that have pokies venues aligned have plenty of cash to play with.

Noble being one.

1 Like

Kee-rist! How do they finance that?

Pensioners shiny lights and jingles.

I read that most first round picks start off on around 74k per year (plus game bonuses) and all other draftees were on a base of 64k off. I think rookies are even a little less than that but I may be wrong.

I don’t know about the other leagues mentioned but I know some blokes playing that get 1k plus expenses per game whilst basically even the drebs were getting an extra $50-$100 per game (in cash). If you’re an ex AFL player you can earn a pretty good/decent amount which is a good supplement to a full time job.

1 Like

Top teams in Ballarat League would pay gun players $60-$70 k.

I know a team near me that has a player payment budget this year of over $500,000. There is a salary cap, but there are ways and means to get around them. All of this income comes from donations and sponsorship. No pokie money.

Argument which I support is that gave gun players gets more young to play and generates more income to support lower grades. Seems to work, if the Club has good leadership and a strong finance person.

No pokies would mean a hell of a lot of hot chips being sold

1 Like

Bacchusfox. You would be referring to Hepburn and/or Springbank?
Theres also a points system was bought in to help even teams up.