Former #17 James Stewart

Until 93 when I had to concede he was a really important part of the flag

1 Like

Ah, those were the days. Us two fresh-faced Blitz Rookies going head to head about Andrew Welsh.

Man you were annoying…

3 Likes

least he changed … hahaha sorry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You know there was a moment there where he almost win me over. When he started tagging and racking up some big big numbers and handballing more. Then he got concussed against the tigers, Joel Bowden rushed a few behinds and our late run got snuffed out.

2 Likes

The pot said to the kettle…

1 Like

Andrew Welsh was a better footballer than Peter Somerville. I will take on anyone who disagrees behind the shelter sheds after school.

1 Like

I like the cut of your jib.

1 Like

Welsh was actually very good in his tagging role and if he had been doing it since early in his career I think he would be viewed quite differently. The problem is he moved there just as the game was changing, when it was becoming more fast paced and switching to a zoning style of play. Pace and foot skills were beginning to become premium attributes and Welsh didn’t have either. Injuries didn’t help him either in the last few years.

1 Like

Damn right ! Anything he lacked in skill made up with grunt.

Fkg concur. I hated Somerville’s lack of consistency and still regard Sheeds’s #1 error in judgement was not using Fish as the ruckman from '91 onwards.

Close call from letting Big Rog go, and bringing up the bronze was his obsession for Reynolds and Henneman.

1 Like

I reckon Sheed’s biggest blunder was not going fully down the rebuild path after 2002. All those mature age recruits, especially those FC rejects, was just plain embarrassing.

3 Likes

Which is what we’ve been ever since.
Faaaaaarrrrkkkk

1 Like

l think he should have used Salmon in the ruck in the 1990 GF as well. It probably wouldn’t have made a lot f difference, but Madden was tired and Fish would have been more effective against Monkhorst.

With BJ?

Revisionist memory, Allen had a good season the year he got there then had injuries. They both played in our last winning final.

Welsh struggled after the serious ankle injury suffered in an intra club match.

Sack Quinn

2 Likes

I was genuinely going to say the same thing but thought someone would tell me off for getting my Quinn’s mixed up :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

It’s a gag with layers.

2 Likes

Well unless Stewart transformed himself into Doctor Who?