Former #17 James Stewart

His supposed weakness was lack of passion/being a spectator. Haven’t seen that in the last six weeks, he has a decent work ethic and gets leading marks because of it.

5 Likes

How do you bring Stewart in and still keep Hooker involved? Stewart and Hooker in the forward line, with Daniher floating around up the ground? Where does the resting ruck go, (probably TBell) next week? Can’t mess around with Hooker’s head so early in the season, dropping him/dropping him back/pushing him to a flank. Or, maybe you can…

Wouldn’t be the first time a tall bloke has had to learn consistency of effort.

Stewart is probably the prototypical “work up the ground” fwd, and I say that knowing full well Joe does that really well.

1 Like

Have to say after watching Jim Stewart look 2-3 classes above VFL opposition over the previous weeks - I’m pleasantly surprised. I had him pegged as a skillful long-shot who might be a bit reluctant in the contest - but I’m not seeing that - in fact I think he is a really interesting prospect in terms of our playing list and build. Not wanting to go too early because we need to see what he brings when he is selected in the senior side - but he appears to be doing everything he can to force his way in. It would be a HUGE bonus if he can become another legitimate tall target in attack.

3 Likes

And he is very good below his knees.

2 Likes

My impression of him before he came to the club and even earlier in pre-season, was that he was the type of forward to lead up at the ball and use leading patterns to his advantage to get the ball.

I have been pleasantly surprised from what I have seen recently which suggests to me that he isn’t just that and that he can wrestle and engage his opponent and can win the contested situations also, which is what you would typically expect of someone his size.

Very well balanced player.

Great height and build.

Not a total slow-coach.

An accurate kick for goal and a solid work ethic.

I think we may have found ourselves a key forward to stick alongside Joe for the future.

3 Likes

I just wonder what circumstances have to conspire for him to get selected? Woosha seems adamant that Hooksey is a forward, and I don’t think you can have 3 x 200cm forwards in there at the same time, at least not Joey, Hooker and Stewart all at once. Joe pinch hits ruck a bit, so at the moment you have Hooker +Joe or resting ruckman (Leuey). Unless injury strikes, and touchwood that doesn’t happen, or Hooksey is so badly out of form we need to send him back, or heaven forbid Hurley gets injured and we have to send Hooker back, they are the only scenarios I can see for a Stewart selection, otherwise we are too top heavy down there.

I watched him today and was extremely impressed with his game. Pushed up the wings and took some lovely marks and also worked back to goal well too and got some reward. Hope he keeps his head up and continues to do the business in the VFL to force his way into the team…

I reckon Stewart is insurance at the moment. If a key tall backman is injured, he comes in at CHF and Hooker goes back. If Joe or Hooker are injured, Stewart comes in as like-for-like replacement.

1 Like

Hooker is being played as a forward because we feel he is our best option. I’m sure the coaches would be very happy to move him back if Stewart forces his way into the team.

If Francis is a forward they even more won’t want another tall forward or second ruckman.

Hooker was swung forward to fill a desperate need a couple years ago.

If the recruiting of Stewart,with warranted form,gets him selected in the ones, Hooker can then move back and become the rock he was when was an AA backman.

Of course that’s provided Stewart can perform at senior level.

Maybe Joe is a ruckman and Stewart CHF?

It’s the new forward or back. Do you think it’ll catch on?

1 Like

He left the Giants because he couldn’t get a game and he wanted to be given more opportunities. I don’t see how he can though if we have Hooker, Joe and Franga all playing forward.

3 Likes

Well , if they win the flag it is a very slow slide indeed .

If you reckon they are going to win the flag, you are dreaming.

GWS & Adelaide will flog them & I reckon we will come very close to knocking them over.

They are too heavily reliant on too few & their bottom 5 or 6 is very ordinary,

Anyway, back to Stewart, I would be looking at giving him a crack against the Dees, due to the short turnaround between games

1 Like

I hope the coaching panel aren’t shy about rotating the guys who had the year off, and throw Goddard/Kelly into that mix as well.

Give Stewart a week in Hooker’s role, see what he can offer.

2 Likes

BRING.
JIM.
IN.

1 Like

BRING

1 Like

Cale down back while Ambrose is out, Stewart as FF

2 Likes