Former #17 James Stewart

His goals aside so many benefits of playing the 3 talls when they have the athleticism they all do.

Doesn’t leave Hooker one out when JD in ruck. Doesn’t leave JD one out when Hooker goes back in defence.

Thus opposition tall defenders have to stay accountable and cant double/triple team the sole marking target.

And means we can still have players to create a contest and keep our dangerous smalls involved.

8 Likes

First name starts with J, 7 letters in his surname.

4 Likes

JD Lite

Fair enough.
Well spotted.

Safer set shot than the Candyman.

1 Like

Stewarts performance means that I finally find myself hoping Langford makes it as a midfielder. There is no longer any room in the forward line for him.

Well done James “Alf” Stewart. Good game. Superb Debut.

1 Like

Yes I think the club know where Langers will play long term - or trade him. Had a look at VFL STATS can’t get a look in as far as best go-to not sure what is going on.

Everything about this makes me laugh and has made my day.

8 Likes

Can we get the full interview? Keen to know what he said about the Pies

2 Likes

Buggerr, just deleted Game Day 2 minutes ago, o/wise I could have cut it &upped it somewhere… * sad face *

Maybe the club will put it up on the site, … they often do.

2 Likes

He said he was disappointed when he wasn’t selected by the pies under father son, but he believes the knock backs he’s received made him the player he is today so no ill feelings towards them.

But basically said ■■■■ them

He’s got a home at the better big club now.

3 Likes

Hope Moons becomes the next chompers.

That’s what I wanted to see!!

2 Likes

The missing link

Stewart is a capable forward

This frees up:

Joe into the ruck

or

Hooker back

Without losing a decent clunking forward who is a decent set shot

It was supposed to be Langford I think, but it’s Jimmy’s position now.

I really like him in the side. So many teams manage to work three talls into their side, but we’ve never really nailed it. This combo might be it though, especially with Stewart and Joe being reasonably agile for their size.

Geelong’s tall defenders have owned us for almost a decade, so it was nice to watch us finally give them a bath.

7 Likes

yep. all of which will be critically important this week against West Coast and an inform McLovin. He’s critical to our chances next week in a game that really do go in with a genuine chance. Keep Mclovin occupied or he will cut us up with his intercept marking.

Excellent first game for us. Looks a natural forward with his positioning in general play and excellent smarts in his marking contests.

I think it was James but his only a kid.

1 Like

He said it was a blessing in disguise that the pies didn’t draft him. Basically saying that his development at GWS was better than what it might have been at Collingwood.

2 Likes