Former #17 James Stewart

And the umpire was 6 fkn metres away

3 Likes

Wasnt even our worst forward last night let alone anywhere near our worst player,

Presented all night, got almost no delivery but was close to creating things often

1 Like

For mine, that kick at the end when we were only a goal down was atrocious. Even if he had’ve kicked a point, it would’ve given us a shot. Instead he tries to square up a closer option, when we had been sucking balls and it had started raining. As a result we got nothing. Anyway, hopefully he plays better next week.

Someone had to get in his ear. More experienced heads out there who should’ve calmed him down and told him to take the shot.

3 Likes

Gets a lot of the ball in general play, more than what I would have thought. Has a lot of i50s.

Not his best game last night but as stated above, wasn’t any where near our worst forward. Keep playing him as I reckon he’s important to our forwardline.

1 Like

Yep that shot he didnt take, Tippa’s goal he missed and then the moment he was fended off by Cotchin all highlighted the fact it was not our night and quite frankly summed it up…

Bellchambers ruck work was good last night. What happens when Luenberger comes back next week. Does TBC automatically get dropped, or does Stewart lose his place?
TBC and Luenberger would make our ruck set up better, and TBC can play 3rd tall. and it would allow Daniher a full game forward. But it would make us slower.
Stewart has been ok, but is not providing a get out option when exiting defense.

I keep banging on about this, but having Stewart in the ruck, even for brief periods, meant we had messed with a structure that didn’t need messing with.

Can’t afford to play like that again

Since he offers very little in aerial contests, I’d be picking Langford or Francis in his place. Both are more capable at ground level, and Langford offers another midfield rotation option.

JoeDan, Raz, Tippa, Hooker, Green, Stewart

So our sixth best forward only kicks one goal in a game where 80% of the time the ball was up the other end and it’s a bad game on his part?

People are being a little unfair, the kick before the kick to Stewart never hit it’s mark, because it was a handball to Josh Caddy, who kicked a point.

1 Like

Needs to be stronger in the contest when tackled, as he too often turns over possession in this situation.

1 Like

While three tall forwards will work in some circumstances, I am more inclined to have a medium mid in the third role: e.g. a Langford, Laverde, Francis.

4 Likes

Agree on the not always three talls.
I’d say it should be horses for courses.
And Francis isn’t a medium anything.

3 Likes

I could think of worse players to dump than this bloke who has slogged his guts out in the last few weeks. I would give him another couple of weeks. Worst thing we can do to his confidence is drop him after an ordinary week.

Oh, I dunno, he certainly seems a medium distance runner at the moment.

6 Likes

It’s amazing how quickly things change on Blitz regarding a player. Couple of weeks ago, he was exactly what we needed, now he isn’t good enough.

9 Likes

Pick 77 and played games this year. Reckon thats a win.

The fact he kicked 3 against the Cats is a bonus.

Has potential just had a bad night.

1 Like

He’s never going to be a high-volume goal scorer. What he produced against the Cats is probably about as prolific as he will get, and that’s fine. He present well and links half-forward to the inside 50 players. His go is present up, mark, turn and go. Has neat skills for a big guy and very agile. I agree that he plays shorter than his height, but that’s better than some gronk who is on railway tracks and can’t move laterally. The only thing that annoyed me was when he received the free kick for a deliberate out of bounds in the last, Tigers backman kicked it off the ground at the southern stand flank abut 45m out. He had a chance to take a set shot but instead went for a set up kick to about 25m from goal and it was promptly turned over. Should’ve had a shot, and we were only a goal down at that point. Not that it won or lost us the game, but probably needed to take ownership of that opportunity.

1 Like

Way too much use of hindsight with regards to that free he didn’t kick for goal on. It was a tough shot for a right footer. The fowards should have been aware and at worst got the ball to ground and hold it in.