Former #17 James Stewart

best game so far, (Port), excellent on the ground, surprising to me. had few quiet weeks and glad he got on end of a couple

I was also very impressed with a couple of games i saw him play for Giants, then was pushed out by Cameron, lost form etc. Seems to complete our forward 6, just means he makes 3rd tall accountable, offers flexibility.

His first game was a ripper, Good that he’s back at the performance level. Playing like this he adds an enormous amount to our forward structure

2 Likes

21 possessions and 2 goals is what you’d take from him any day of the week. He’s going to be the type of player that has quiet ones but if he can impact the game in some manner when we don’t swamp them and create a good contest then he’ll be doing his job.

1 Like

I see where WD is coming from here. I’ve said it twice now, here it comes a third time: he looks good when we look good. He’s very good at leading well and losing a guy and taking good marks with separation. I think his set shots look good too. My concern is I can see him really struggling in a pressure cooker game like a grand final.

Or being the guy that the opposition coaching staff don’t worry too much about, and he kicks 5 .

So, if we have a fully fit list, who takes his spot?

Potentially Laverde.
He’s got a way to go yet, though, coming back from a long injury.

So until then, we just have to get over the fact that we have a bloke who is taking his chances and playing his role? Gotta be happy with that.

And for whoever was ■■■■■■■■ about him getting a few goals out the back, I reckon Hooker has kicked about 10 out the back, or stayed out of a marking contest and crumbed a goal.

He is very good for a big guy at ground level which is going to keep him in a lot of contests.

He has lots of scope for improvement in his contested marking and most importantly he continually runs to the right spots.

I think we will have a very good player with another couple of preseasons under his belt.

2 Likes

How the fk could you watch Saturday night’s game and have a negative perception of Stewart?

25 Likes

Agree. He was very aggresive at the contests and tackling, … and I’ve thought more than once how he might go after a couple of pre seasons on the weights.

1 Like

Pretty damn agile for his height, just needed to be tougher on the contest.

Which he was.

Great game Sat.
Want to see the same in a close game.

Only on Blitz could a guy perform like Stewart did and people want to tell you how he’s no good.

9 Likes

Why do you hate Langford?

;p

1 Like

was surprising how good he was in traffic. off to the midfield.

I jest.

2 Likes

There are no ‘cheapies’.
No one cares how you get the goal, it’s a goal. You don’t win by getting more difficult goals than the opposition.

8 Likes

That cheap goal?

At the last second he stayed off the pack so he could be in a position to get the cheapie!!!

And that is the skill of quick thinking.

Yep, that was being smart, not copping out.

Mindset is different, not that long ago you were seen as selfish/cherry picker etc to get an easy one in the goal square

Now the coach thinks your a genius to be able to make so certain of a goal