Former #17 James Stewart

I am quietly laughing that Collingwood could theoretically have him and Hartley in their side right now. Stewart played a very good game on Saturday, and was a big part of our win. He’s played five games so far, and I’d say he has been excellent in three and been poor in two. But he is inexperienced. Look at how much more effective Hartley has been both last year and this year as his confidence in himself, his spot in the team, and his role as built. I suspect it will be the same for Stewart. He’s not a contested marking beast, which means his interaction with his team mates is critical. As the understanding grows we will utilise his mobility, good hands and third option status more and more, and both he and us will benefit.

At least, that is all my hope!

Wow, you do a little analysis to back up your opinion on something, and suddenly its being brought up in multiple other threads like I’ve been running a campaign to get Gleeson delisted. This is what Windy Dill is referring to above. I have generally been a supporter of Gleeson, but I have questioned him a few times this year, supported Dea over him in selection policy, and in one game broke it down because I wanted to know why my opinion was so divergent on his performance to everyone else.

And then it’s being brought up in this thread, @Alan_Noonan_10 brought it up in another. It does seem strange to me, but then I’ve always thought the kicking DKP gets is pretty harsh as well.

2 Likes

I heard that Ants hates Marty Gleeson.

Why do you hate Ants?

8 Likes

Shhhhhhh!!!

We’re trying to keep it quiet.

Actually it was a pleasant surprise on the weekend. All our big guys that can be a bit timid (stewart, hartley, bellchambers) were all more aggressive than usual. It makes a big difference for mine, the big guys have to have a physical presence and all three of them are starting to bring it.

Sooking about sooking about sooking is peak Blitz.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen belly as timid. always goes the man and body contact. Most times hes just too laborious to get to contests.

I think we need a good mix of mobile and bomb it on their head talls.

Hooker makes our forward line so functional its not funny.

Joe and Stewwy can run up and down the field (just wish stewwy would clunk some more but whatever). Allows the small forwards to wreak havoc in the f50 and up the HFFs.

Stewart is important because he stretches the other teams defence (now he won’t get the best defender on the team, but i they totally disrespect him you could peg him down for a few marks in the f50 and a couple shots which hopefully lead to goals).

I’d query @Ants’s last sentence.

About as misguided a comment as I’ve ever read on Blitz.

2 Likes

Hooker’s more important, but Stewart is the lynchpin.
And…it frustrates me that…it feels like not everyone sees that.

1 Like

I see what you mean…it’s important that Stewart provides an alternate target and stops the other mob double-teaming Joe and Hooksy. If you keep honouring his leads (provided he marks them), they have to keep an eye on him.

1 Like

And he has good skills. His delivery into fwd line been top. Hits targets or at least kicks to advantage as per that TIPPA burning Hartlett goal.

ok… so I don’t see that at all. Perhaps because I don’t know what a lynchpin means other than something that holds everything else together. I don’t see Stewart like that at all.

I think you could replace Stewart with any number of players of any size and see a reasonable forward line operate. He is the 6th best forward in that side at present.

Having stated that, he is indeed earning his spot every 2nd game or so, and he is a young key position player, and so its great getting games into him. But I hardly think the forward line falls apart without him.

2 Likes

But the 3 smalls do not take a tall defender that would worry our talls.

I’d take having Hooker and no Stewart, over Stewart and no Hooker every day of the week.

2 Likes

Don’t forget the Franga.

1 Like

Well I’d certainly rather him in Stewart’s role than Hooker’s at this stage

I’d rather Franga in Hooker’s…oh never mind…

1 Like

I think you misinterpreted what was said.

1 Like

Interesting.
Do you have to be over 60 to get it?