Former #17 James Stewart

The sum of the whole forward line is greater than any one part.

Except for JOEDAN.

Laverde - Daniher - Fantasia
Stewart - Francis - Tipungwuti

Pitty our next game is at the 3rd tall wasteland know as the scg.

Regardless, plenty to work with here

I never realised ‘little’ & ‘1100+ word thesis’ were the same thing.
The ONLY reason you could be bothered to do that a.n.a.l gazing exercise is so that you don’t have to admit you were wrong on Gleeson’s performance, which is ‘so what, big deal?’ anyway…
yaco had been banging on about Hartley having an average year compared to Brown (except for the last 2 weeks), but at least he hasn’t gone ahead & done an 1100 word analysis on Hartley’s game to try & prove himself right.
Yet both Gleeson & Hartley achieved similar results, in that they did the job required & beat their better credentialed opponents in Winguard & Dixon. Not starring roles, maybe not even in our top 10 players on the ground, but did their job - bit like James Stewart did too

1 Like

Maybe we swap Stewart for Parish then. Or Langford

Can’t see why Stewart would be omitted on the back of a very good performance, SCG or not.

Stewart did have a good game against Port. Given that we were killing the opposition on the outside and owning the corridor, he was being given a decent opportunity to show what he can do.

Like the team itself, he just has to show consistency.

Has all the athletic qualities you could want in a player who is six six, six seven in height. As was noted before, he wins just by keeping his opponent honest and focused on him rather than the other key forwards. If he can develop his contested marking skills and defensive mindset (he got walked around pretty easily a couple of times against GWS). He will be retaining his spot in the forward line.

Rapt in what he does in Q1. Q2 he is ok. But where is he after half time?
This appears to be a pattern in his games. Any ideas ?

I haven’t had the chance to study the game closely, but I heard, on the Blitz commentary I think, that Smack was been treated as the KPF in place of Hooker and was getting the 2nd best tall defender, did this change at half time?

This would explain Smack showing up in the second half and Stewart disappearing, this is really the point of having three relevant talls in the forward line, not many sides can stop 3 at once. Like how Port had the best defender on Joe in the first half and Hooker in the second, and Stewart also got free in that game.

5 Likes

Scarey, that does make a lot of sense. Thanks.

Also when you have 3 tall forwards you rotate them around throughout the game to free up your forwards who might be getting blanketed and confuse the opposition and maybe mess up their structure.

That is basically what was happening in the Sydney game, as well as some midfield tweaks, and it almost worked.

1 Like

Yeh. Jeez theres nothing wrong with 2 goals a game. Thats 46 a season.

3 Likes

There is something wrong with two goals … that it should have been three if Green had looked forward!

1 Like

I thought he played pretty well??

Hardly effected the game in the 2nd half. Felt that mckernan had much more influence .
A d if we talk about Greene not looking up this depriving Stew of a 3rd, mckernan would have had an easy shot shot at goal if not for Hurley bring awarded the free…
I think many here judge mckernan to a stricter standards perhaps expecting more of him.
He could do alot as the 3rd tall (alongside joe and hooker) and not the 2nd which he was on Fri

1 Like

I’ve been impressed with his intensity at the ball.

Let’s not worry about Stewart or Smack.

JD kicked 1 goal only matched up on Rampe for the most part who was giving away huge height/reach advantage. That’s unacceptable really.

3 Likes

He didn’t have a huge impact, no.

Does he ever play 2nd halves of games?

2 Likes

He’s like Aaron Francis but actually fit.