#18 Forward or Back?

HURLEY%20Michael.png

Season Highlights
19 disps (14 kicks 5 hballs), 8 marks and 2 goals in Rd 2 148-pt win over Melbourne at the MCG (6 Apr 2013)

andherewego.gif

Forward

Lead up forward.

Looks very dangerous when he hits out around the 65-75m mark and then doubles back.

Beautiful kicking skills means we should lead him up the ground and then use him to pinpoint Daniher inside the 50.

Forwardline fixed.

Depends on form where he plays. If it's like last year, VFL until he pulls his weight.

Back

had better games than the Melbourne game IMO.

he is a forward. with crameri gone, he becomes more important to the forwardline. swing option will always be there as long as buckets is playing down back.

With the personnel we have I'm a new convert to forward. Even if he doesn't kick a bag I think we look much more dangerous with his strong leads (pity we kick it over his head). That said, if he was to go back I wouldn't be devastated.

Said for years he has the makings of an AA defender. Good disposal with both feet coming out of defence, has a great reach and spoils well.

As a forward he still leads to the wrong areas and through injury or otherwise still takes to many chest marks, hands are not strong.

he is a forward. with crameri gone, he becomes more important to the forwardline. swing option will always be there as long as buckets is playing down back.

Saints game was his best game imo.

Played well both Carlton games too from memory.

He is the only guy on our list capable of kicking 40+ goals in a season, including Crameri. He needs to get his wrists sorted, and maintain some fitness throughout the year. I'm not convinced he has ever entered a season in tip-top shape. He has never looked ripped or particularly toned like most key forwards do. This is a massive pre-season for him. Expectations should be high for someone on a contract like he is on.

Saints game was his best game imo.

Played well both Carlton games too from memory.

That Saints game was awesome! I think he was on track to playing his best ever club game before he got injured. 

Finally...
The discussion we had to have.

EDIT: Oh, this is the Hurley end of year discussion thread. Geez Riolio, his year was poor, but he did have a few better games than the Melbourne one  :lol:

Finally...
The discussion we had to have.

EDIT: Oh, this is the Hurley end of year discussion thread. Geez Riolio, his year was poor, but he did have a few better games than the Melbourne one  :lol:

Hey, I just copy and paste what the footy stats site says!

Ol' Trampoline Hands

With Crameri going (or so it seems...) I think we need to play Hurley forward. 

If we can cover Crameri then I think a backline including Carlisle and Hurley would be the best in the comp for the next 8-10 years. Fletch has to leave sometime, and those two holding down key positions with the likes of Dempsey and Hibberd alongside them makes it a very formidable defensive unit. Hurley is a handy, but erratic forward, but a natural backman. His aggression and kicking skills would add a lot of grunt back.

Surprised at how many people voted back. If we lose both Crameri and GUMB, we definitely need him fwd.

Ol' Trampoline Hands

Ol' no hands. Marks the ball with his fists. Or at least attempts to.

That is, until he gets moved to the backline where he starts miraculously start reaching for balls that come in above his head. Truly bizarre. It's almost as if ... he's more natural down there.

Ol' Trampoline Hands

Ol' no hands. Marks the ball with his fists. Or at least attempts to.

That is, until he gets moved to the backline where he starts miraculously start reaching for balls that come in above his head. Truly bizarre. It's almost as if ... he's more natural down there.

You mean like timing leads and knowing how to read the play? ;)

Even though when Hurley plays forward his stats dont usually show much, he has a big presence. You all saw the games when he wasn't playing.. the forward line was even more of a mess. He brings structure. Also with Crameri on the way out we definitely cant afford having Hurley go back.