#18 Forward or Back?

Even though when Hurley plays forward his stats dont usually show much, he has a big presence. You all saw the games when he wasn't playing.. the forward line was even more of a mess. He brings structure. Also with Crameri on the way out we definitely cant afford having Hurley go back.

We've got Alwyn Davey for that. We'll be fine.

reasons why he should play forward

1. he is a compedititor

2. he uses the ball well (other than set shots)

reasons why he shouldn't play fwd

1. he is a poor mark and prefers to chest mark

2. he is a shocking set shot for goal

3. his pace isn't great and he struggles to separate from his opponent

4. he isn't a natural fwd and doesn't lead particularly well

reasons why he should play back

1. he is a competitor and fights for every inch

2. he uses the ball well

3. he is probably our only genuine body on body tall defender who likes to be shoulder to shoulder in marking contests and uses his body well to block space. while you might think his lack of pace could make him vulnerable on the lead this quality more than compensates for it. clearly better suited to defending leading fwds than hooker or carlisle.

4. he reads the play very well.

reasons he shouldn't play back

1. he isn't go to take bucket loads of intercept marks (but i think we have enough guys capable of doing that and having an out and out stopper would benefit the backline)

I think his lack of pace has been vastly exaggerated. Well, it seemed a real issue in year 1, but I've seen no sign of it since, so maybe he worked on it? (Can you work on pace?) Hell, at the Hawthorn game this year, I had some Hawks fan telling me that Hurley's problem is that he is so quick, he runs under the ball  :lol:

I reckon he gets separation from his opponent quite well, he just doesn't hold the marks. 

With Crameri gone, I think he has to stay forward. But if Bomber is the senior coach, that might change.  

I think his lack of pace has been vastly exaggerated. Well, it seemed a real issue in year 1, but I've seen no sign of it since, so maybe he worked on it? (Can you work on pace?) Hell, at the Hawthorn game this year, I had some Hawks fan telling me that Hurley's problem is that he is so quick, he runs under the ball  :lol:

I reckon he gets separation from his opponent quite well, he just doesn't hold the marks. 

With Crameri gone, I think he has to stay forward. But if Bomber is the senior coach, that might change.  

Part of that reason is due to his insistence on trying to chest mark everything and misjudging the flight of the ball becasue he attacks the contest at full pace.

Simple: Bomber coach = Hurley BACK

Nup. He wouldn't stuff around with that just for the year. Would keep him forward I reckon. He'd just be keeping the chair warm, not making major structural changes. Not without asking Hird first.

Midfield. 

Carlisle Forward, Hurley back!

Nup. He wouldn't stuff around with that just for the year. Would keep him forward I reckon. He'd just be keeping the chair warm, not making major structural changes. Not without asking Hird first.
Do you honestly believe that?
I cant see Bomber keeping the chair warm for anybody, he has too much pride for that. He will be playing guys where he thinks it will give the most value to the side and allow more victories.

I think on occasions he lacks a little killer instinct.

Carlisle Forward, Hurley back!

+1 from me for this option.

Hurley is a natural backman and rarely looks at home up forward (imo).

When Carlisle goes forward I just expect him to mark the ball and kick goals...he is a much better forward than Hurley.

Forward unfortunately, where he will continue to be mediocre. It really is a shame that he is played forward when he is such a natural back. Maybe they make the move after Fletch and assuming Joe kicks on but until then, bleh, what a misused, underachieving talent.

This is something I noticed part way through the year, he runs at his absolute top speed because I think he is simply not confident in his contested marking (with good reason) so he tries to get the maximum amount of seperation from his opponent. Problem is if he misjudges the flight of the ball or his team mate kicks it a bit long/high he has absolutely no room for error and often runs under the ball.

Unfortunately I think he will be forced to play forward (unless JD comes on massively over pre season) where he will continue to bring the ball to ground and have presence.

Swingman.

The problem is that he offers something to the back line which we don’t have; that physical player that harasses and wrestles the oppositions key forwards.

Carlisle is elite at reading the ball in the air and finding the best position in a marking contest before his opponents, then taking the ball over head. The problem is he struggles against other players who also have similar strengths ie. Waighte and Cameron

Hooker is also pretty good at reading the ball in the air, but is at the better at the man on man contested marking. He’s also fantastic at getting to other contests.

I personally think blokes like Cameron, Reiwoldt, Waite and Franklin should get Hurley. As all of them are confidence players, Hurley will make sure they are not getting cheap early goals.

The problem is if Crameri leaves, Hurley is the only real grunt forward we have in the side. Daniher and Gumbleton are guys who are gonna be getting more of the ball around the wing/ half forward area. Hurley will be needed to provide a contest and make sure the ball is hitting the deck. I just can’t see any other player in this role.

I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

Forward.....surgery would have fixed up his wrists and I like his new nine iron preparation.

Forward

Back

i thought the game this year when we had hurls and jakey c  together looked great

in the backline we are realllly lacking a pack crasher , one that makes forwards thinks they are going to get hit , hurley provides this  the only other player that makes people think they are going to be hit in contests is melkshy

cant think of another person who roams through defence and crunches hard ?

not saying our other backmen dont have courage , they are great intercept backmen who will stand there and cop one

but i think hurls provides that dean wallis pack smasher we need down back.

so back for me