#19 Nick Hind

He has genuine and rare skills. They may not be exactly what is needed in our current setup, but they are there.

4 Likes

Yes, he compliments our backline with his line breaking speed, thatā€™s his strength and itā€™s a valuable weapon in modern footy because you can break through zones or whatever the op has set up.

When you take the risk of charging up the field and leaving your defensive post you can get caught out very quickly if it doesnā€™t work out, looks bad, a properly structured team would fall back to support and cover the risk but unfortunately our team likes all run forward, itā€™s a shame Truck couldnā€™t address that.

Anyway, his positives outweigh his negatives and i can see him having a big year under BDB.

1 Like

Agree, though he also has a few other skills. He is a good kick of the footy - long and accurate. He is a good set-shot kick. He has saved a number of goals running back (arguably - he shouldnā€™t have been forward of the ball anyway, but that is a team structure thing and I put it on coaching). He is a decent intercept mark.

Rather have line breaking through the quality of delivery from Massimo.
Itā€™s a lot quicker and you arenā€™t going to lose defensive structure.

4 Likes

Less predictable when you have more than one option.

1 Like

Itā€™s worth keeping an eye out for.

I think heā€™s essentially ineffective at defending in the air. And his defensive running always looks laboured. Sure he mightā€™ve just run 100m in the other direction, but not always. It feels like he would be an old school forward flanker.

Sadly for me, I would suggest now have a bias against him. And donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™d love for him to do well, and heā€™s all weā€™ve got.

Agree. I think what he lacked last year that he had in spades in 2021 was his desperation not to lose any contest. If he can get that back he is a lock in the team.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t bet on it, I could see a scenario where a decision is made to go with eg Masimo, leaving Hind outside the 22.

But on balance, youā€™re probably right.

Heā€™s poor overhead. Donā€™t think heā€™s too bad on ground ball contests.

1 Like

Hindā€™s ten times the player Masimo is right now.

1 Like

players like hind arenā€™t taking us forward though, and players like mass are. i get your point but i reckon the first form drop from hind and youā€™ll see mass in pretty quick

Depth only

Itā€™s not necessarily ability that will see him out of favour. In my mind itā€™s age. Not too old to still play good footy, but not likely to still be around when we are ready to challenge for a flag.

So play the kids.

2 Likes

Hinds lack of endurance and repeat efforts keeps him from getting to the defensive contests and he always trials his opponent to the fall of the ball or into our defensive half causing issues if there is overlap from opponents. Offensively he runs stronger but canā€™t repeat effort defensively.
He is a good VFL player and reasonable AFL depth player and thatā€™s how I want to see him utilised on our list.

1 Like

This 2021 stat is confused by your ā€œlack of enduranceā€ comment.

10 Likes

Probably - and vice versa, guys like Hind will be the backups when kids get out of form, beaten up, tired etc.

(Which does happen)

I like Mass but at his stage of development, heā€™s not going to play 22 games next year.

A white Jarrad atkinson

1 Like

Haha, thereā€™s a blast from the past.

Did Atkinson make it to his 3rd preseason?

I was so disappointed that Atkinson didnā€™t apply himself. He had something special about him!

3 Likes

Pace. That was essentially his one trick. He was very farking fast.

1 Like