#19 ShrEdwards

Speeeeeed
can jump over Richmond dudes

goals http://www.afl.com.au/video?guid=729127
YYEEEAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

Jumped off the couch when he snapped that first goal.

My brain wants to put him in the Stodgewood song:

Shaunny Shaunny Edwards
Shaunny Shaunny Edwards
Shaunny Shaunny Edwards
Token excitement machine!

Fixed (even if it does’t fit)

That song these days would have a lot of:

Firstname Firstname Surname
Vanilla-Faced Panic MerChant

Prefer “vanilla accumulator” to “vanilla panic merchant” but both work.

Better option than Ambrose for the 3rd tall I reckon, certainly more dangerous around goal. I certainly like the idea of him running back into space from the rebound.

Zerrett Carlisle zaharakis
Edwards Daniher Winderlich/Chappy

Looks shitloads more capable of kicking a score and not slow

Wow, that looks like a complete forward line.

Now all we need is to get the ball down there.

Shaunny Shaunny Edwards
Shaunny Shaunny Edwards
Shaunny Shaunny Edwards

Shaunny Shaunny Edwards
Shaunny Shaunny Edwards
Shaunny Shaunny Edwards

That song these days would have a lot of:

Vanilla-Faced Panic MerChant

Edwards is nothing like Gunston, except that he is going to be very difficult to match up on. Gunston is a very smart footballer and has great endurance. Edwards is much much quicker but but doesn't read the play nearly as well. He'll never get as much of the ball as Gunston. But Gunston leads the league in marks I think, so that's no knock. He has a chance of being a very damaging player though, other teams won't want to see him with empty space between him and the goals because there are very few players who will be able to keep up with him, let alone catch him. He'll take the odd hanger too and make something out of an ugly entry, and just the threat of this will help the smaller forwards as it will suck extra defenders to the contest (hopefully we can find some small forwards eventually).
Gunston career average: 14.3 disposals Edwards career average: 13.4 disposals Vast chasm.

Again you’re confusing “exactly the same” or “as good as” with “similar to”
Shaun probably won’t ever be as hard-wroking a lead-up, not as good a finisher, nor quite as good a mark (as he’s a little smaller). He’s not going to be an exact replica (which shouldn’t really need explaining as no player is ever a replica of anyone else).
But he can still aim to develop a lot of Gunston’s craft. Gunston’s written the book on being a dangerous 3rd tall forward. Like him, he has the flexibility of being able to play high or deep, and his similar size/pace should also make him a tricky match-up.

Agree he’ll be a tricky match up
To me gunston is an under suzed kpf
Edwards an over sized small forward
If you get what i mean

Shaunny Shaunny Edwards
Shaunny Shaunny Edwards
Shaunny Shaunny Edwards
The side step of the team!

Edwards is nothing like Gunston, except that he is going to be very difficult to match up on. Gunston is a very smart footballer and has great endurance. Edwards is much much quicker but but doesn't read the play nearly as well. He'll never get as much of the ball as Gunston. But Gunston leads the league in marks I think, so that's no knock. He has a chance of being a very damaging player though, other teams won't want to see him with empty space between him and the goals because there are very few players who will be able to keep up with him, let alone catch him. He'll take the odd hanger too and make something out of an ugly entry, and just the threat of this will help the smaller forwards as it will suck extra defenders to the contest (hopefully we can find some small forwards eventually).
Gunston career average: 14.3 disposals Edwards career average: 13.4 disposals Vast chasm.

Shaun probably won’t ever be as hard-wroking a lead-up, not as good a finisher, nor quite as good a mark (as he’s a little smaller). He’s not going to be an exact replica (which shouldn’t really need explaining as no player is ever a replica of anyone else).
But he can still aim to develop a lot of Gunston’s craft. Gunston’s written the book on being a dangerous 3rd tall forward. Like him, he has the flexibility of being able to play high or deep, and his similar size/pace should also make him a tricky match-up.

I’m not confusing anything, I just don’t think he plays anything like Gunstan. I doubt he has the tank to play like Him, but he does have some great attributes, particularly his pace and evasive skills which I think will be areal weapon for us.

Can play

Better option than Ambrose for the 3rd tall I reckon, certainly more dangerous around goal. I certainly like the idea of him running back into space from the rebound.

Zerrett Carlisle zaharakis
Edwards Daniher Winderlich/Chappy

Looks shitloads more capable of kicking a score and not slow

Yep. Perfectly suited to leading up high, a lot more likely to create something good with a lead-up & turn than anyone else we currently have.

i think gunston is more capable as a genuine KP than you are probably giving him credit for which is why people have reacted as they have. That said in terms of comparing their athletic profile (endurance aside) there is probably some merit to it. Maybe if you had said Michael O'Loughlin it would have been acceptable to the blitz hive mind :)

Personally if he comes on as we hope i could see edwards falling somewhere in between Harley Bennell and Lindsey Thomas in terms of his role. A little more forward than Bennell, a little more midfield than Thomas.

Racist.

Gunston is pretty strong, which is a big part of what makes him as good as he is. He’s got the pace/agility/skills of a much smaller player but his marking rivals a proper key forward. But still most of his marks (when I watch them anyway) are out on the lead, through repeat running, brilliant timing and smarts, rather than out-bodying or out-marking his opponent. He can still get beaten by a proper key back, particularly if you slow the game down, he’s nowhere near as effective.

Shauny won’t ever be as strong or as good a mark but I think he should be aiming to develop his work rate, and study the tricks and running patterns Gunston uses, to learn how to best use his pace and get the separation on the lead. Could develop a similar skillset IMHO, he’s pretty good when it hits the deck, he’s lightning, and he can take a serious speccy.
I don’t really see him as being very midfielder-ey at all. Won’t stop them trying!

yeah agree with all.

In terms of him being a midfielder i really mean and half forward flanker that can work high up the ground to help link up and provide some run and carry across the center.

i think gunston is more capable as a genuine KP than you are probably giving him credit for which is why people have reacted as they have. That said in terms of comparing their athletic profile (endurance aside) there is probably some merit to it. Maybe if you had said Michael O'Loughlin it would have been acceptable to the blitz hive mind :)

Personally if he comes on as we hope i could see edwards falling somewhere in between Harley Bennell and Lindsey Thomas in terms of his role. A little more forward than Bennell, a little more midfield than Thomas.

Racist.

Gunston is pretty strong, which is a big part of what makes him as good as he is. He’s got the pace/agility/skills of a much smaller player but his marking rivals a proper key forward. But still most of his marks (when I watch them anyway) are out on the lead, through repeat running, brilliant timing and smarts, rather than out-bodying or out-marking his opponent. He can still get beaten by a proper key back, particularly if you slow the game down, he’s nowhere near as effective.

Shauny won’t ever be as strong or as good a mark but I think he should be aiming to develop his work rate, and study the tricks and running patterns Gunston uses, to learn how to best use his pace and get the separation on the lead. Could develop a similar skillset IMHO, he’s pretty good when it hits the deck, he’s lightning, and he can take a serious speccy.
I don’t really see him as being very midfielder-ey at all. Won’t stop them trying!

Don’t mind the idea of Edwards, Zerrett, Jerrett and Colyer rotating through the forward line. Who knows with Langford and Laverde too. Might have a couple more that are effective there. If one of Long and McKenna make it…

Very promising debut game, looks the goods.

Regardless of how he goes, tell him he’s got the rest of this year in the ones. Plays every game.

Exactly what we need.

i think gunston is more capable as a genuine KP than you are probably giving him credit for which is why people have reacted as they have. That said in terms of comparing their athletic profile (endurance aside) there is probably some merit to it. Maybe if you had said Michael O’Loughlin it would have been acceptable to the blitz hive mind :slight_smile:

lol, get the feeling you are going to be putting up with this for a while HAP. Is langford going to be a gunston type too? :p
Tell me about it! Tell me I'm not completely crazy?

Never really seen it with Langford. Has class but no idea what he’s going to end up as.

lol, get the feeling you are going to be putting up with this for a while HAP. Is langford going to be a gunston type too? :stuck_out_tongue: