1996 r22 game Essendon v Footscray - help needed

Guys

I am after a copy of the round 22 1996 game between Essendon v Footscray , in full. It was a friday night game at Mcg, won by the Bombers by 3 points.

If anyone can assist me in obtaining a copy, i would be most greatful

Any assistance is appreciated, i have plenty of old bombers games to swap in return

thank you

Mercuri with the sealer…

Cracker of a game that one.

(sorry no, I have no video of it)

Did Chris Grant kick a goal to get them within 3 points at the end?

Dogs kicked a goal to hit the front, then Mercuri kicked the goal with a couple of mins left to put the bombers back in front

Dogs kicked a goal to hit the front, then Mercuri kicked the goal with a couple of mins left to put the bombers back in front

Yeah, he always seemed to be able to do it when it wasn’t a final on the line …

Too soon

Mercuri played many great finals. Lets not remember him for one mistake on a day when plenty of others made far worse.

If only it was once.

I have the last quarter of that 3AW broadcast somewhere on cassette tape… somewhere. Taped onto Side B of ‘Hit Machine Volume 16’…

Cause it was a close game and it was past my bedtime and all.

Mercuri’s goal won Hirdy the Brownlow that year.

Had Footscray won, Grant would have received the three votes and he would’ve shared the Brownlow with Voss that year, not Hird.

As it stood Hirdy got top votes that night with Grant receiving two votes and Mercs the 1 vote.

Part of that game was shown in the film the Year of the Dog. This was a film made in 1997 about the 1996 season. In 1997, Footscray changed their name to the Western Bulldogs.

Here is a link to Wikipedia. You might get something from there.

Part of that game was shown in the film the Year of the Dog. This was a film made in 1997 about the 1996 season. In 1997, Footscray changed their name to the Western Bulldogs.

Here is a link to Wikipedia. You might get something from there.

I have just recently copied my vhs copy of this onto dvd.

It shows both Chris Grant’s banana ( checkside for SA viewers )goal to put the Doggies up with a few minutes left in the game and then Mercuri’s goal ( selling candy, spinning around from the 50 mtr line )for the win.

A fascinating insight into the inner workings of an AFL club during that period from the mid nineties.

As I recall, the filmmaker contacted all the clubs at the time to see whether they’d be interested in his project and the Doggies were the only club that were happy to comply.

As it turned out, it was a major boon for the filmmakers as the drama that occured within the club that season was unprecedented for any team at the time.

Brilliantly made footy doco if you have the chance to revisit it or watch it for the first time.