2 Andrew Stephens 16 Brendan Hosking 25 Shaun Ryan and making sense of their destruction

Yep, that’s another definite miss. And I suppose the missed 50-meter penalty should be included too.

So that’s 13-2 bad decisions, Collingwood’s way. So far.

Howe’s push in Stringer’s back?

1 Like

Yep, forgot about the 50 metre penalty- didn’t they even kick it away back towards our forwards?
Can’t even pretend to have ‘not heard whistle & played on’ properly.

2 Likes

I’ll wear the tin foil hat thing. I basically admitted it.

The great irony in all this for me is that Collingwood has somehow become the moral authority on fan behavior, at least in the press.

2 Likes

But isn’t almost all the press owned by, or beholden to Fat Eddie now Ch9 owns Fairfax?
Collingwood & Pravda.

Agree with this, why introduce more central umpires, they cannot see / don’t position themselves on the out side, boundary ups (2 each side already) should be able to give decisions.
And whilst on umpires why are Goal umps now too frightened to a decision because of reviews, the camera angle is mostly worse than the ump standing about a metre away.

I couldn’t even hear the pies song after the siren so loud was the booing!

So proud of my fellow supporters, even as I was walking out of the stadium the booing was still going on.The passion from all Essendon fans yesterday was top notch. Let’s continue it!!

30 Likes

I can understand why umpires often ‘put the whistle away’ in final quarters, but they have to understand that this does not admonish them of responsibility. Non-decisions are as damning as poor decisions, if not more, as they come with a large dose of cowardice.

2 Likes

It’s the context though. Historically you’d be right, but not in 2019, we’ve had 3 years of if you lead with the head it’s play on. Add that to the ignored head high tackles against Essendon, to which the umpire suggested they weren’t paid because “ducked” which had set a precedent for the umpiring interpretation, and then they pluck this one at a critical time. It was wrong.

2 Likes

He has been booed ever since he liked Israel Falaos post!

Bah. Well thats just lame. Surely our fans arent that thick.

I have seen a great deal of Bomber crowd anger after a game; usually though it is anger at the Team. Nearly a riot once at Windy Hill after Tigers beat us by 15 goals, I thought the Social Club was going to be ripped down, and the booing the Team off the filed was loud. there was a final at Waverley vs Fitzroy where after the game Bomber supporters fought each other in the car park.

However I have never seen or heard anything like yesterday. We have been sitting in the same seats in the Olympic seat for years and know everyone around us, and all are just normal supporters, but yesterday the whole bunch went feral at the end, and the booing was so long and continuous that it was deafening.

Maybe we do have pent up anger issues since the saga, but I would argue that we have been screwed by umpiring for long before that. They hated Sheedy for his depiction of them as being from Mars, and then Hird for his honesty at calling them out.

25 Likes

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I watch a lot of games, also non essendon, and the one where a player is over the ball, genuinely trying to pick it up and is met front on, even if the other player is stationary, is paid 99/100.
I don’t necessarily agree that a stationary player has to actively move out of the way, but it is always paid.

1 Like

In relation to that one, think people are more having a go at Pendles for being a dishonest diving cheat than the umpire for getting sucked in.

I don’t think the tackle on Ridley was that bad. Yes he pinned arms and head hit the ground but I don’t think there was the double action to deliberately dump him. Sometimes with a good tackle players heads hit the ground.

The lack of htb was the issue for me yesterday. And the htb on Heppell could easily have been in the back.

You’ve got that one wrong… pinning the players arms, swinging him around your body and slamming his head in the turf gets you week/s

6 Likes

So, I decided to read through the 2019 AFL Laws of the Game and I think I now realize where the big disconnect between fans and umpires are:

HOLDING THE BALL
17.6.1 Spirit and Intention
The Player who has Possession of the Football will be provided an opportunity
to dispose of the football before rewarding an opponent for a Legal Tackle.
17.6.2 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Prior Opportunity
(a) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has had Prior Opportunity,
a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player does not Correctly Dispose of
the football immediately when they are Legally Tackled.
(b) Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity,
the field Umpire shall throw up the football when a Player, in the act of
applying a Legal Tackle, holds the football to the body of the Player
being tackled or the football is otherwise pinned to the ground.
17.6.3 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Incorrect Disposal
Where a Player in Possession of the Football has not had Prior Opportunity,
a Free Kick shall be awarded if that Player elects to Incorrectly Dispose of
the football when Legally Tackled.
For the avoidance of doubt, a Player does not elect to Incorrectly Dispose
of the football when:
(a) the Player genuinely attempts to Correctly Dispose of the football;
(b) the Legal Tackle causes the football to be dislodged from the
Player’s possession.
17.6.4 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: No Genuine Attempt
Where a Player is in Possession of the Football and is able but does not genuinely
attempt to Correctly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled, a Free Kick
shall be awarded.
17.6.5 Free Kicks - Holding the Ball: Diving on Top of the Football
A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who dives on top of or drags
the football underneath their body and fails to immediately knock clear
or Correctly Dispose of the football when Legally Tackled.

The key word is attempt, which means that the wording of the rule is such that you don’t actually need to complete a proper disposal… you just need to have attempted a disposal (i.e. handball or kick).

I think that’s where everybody is confused, regardless of prior opportunity or not - we all expect there needs to be a proper disposal when there’s no actual requirement to. Fark me, what is the game coming to???

The rule has referred to “attempt” for years/decades. Even before our modern era of overlaid and undocumented “interpretations”, it was always pretty random how it was applied though.

2 Likes

Let’s see what the mro says about it. If he goes for it I’ll defer to your better understanding of the rule

110% the MRO must make a determination on this action as the player clearly had his head smashed into the turf, looked dazed and was tested for concussion. Essendon supporters angst will go to another level if nothing is said/acknowledged, and so it should. The whole umpiring system is farked if there is no public acknowledgement.

1 Like

The amount of red and black at the G, the way the team guts it out, the talent on our list and the absolute passion of our fans.

If anyone doubted we are back I reckon yesterday sealed it.

It’s gonna be an exciting next few years.

7 Likes