#2 Tom Bellchambers 🛎

Ding Dong’s career highlight was in the vfl when a baby ran onto to field and he was holding it like it was a biohazard.

2 Likes

Looked really good in the highlights. It’s a long season though so I’d give him another week

Have to give Stewart and McKernan the gig, done the work and have form. Another week won’t hurt.

1 Like

When Skippy was asked about him playing round 1, he was pretty doubtful. Seemed to think he was a better chance for round 2.

https://shar.es/1UOzVQ

Skippy also thought he only played one half.

Just saying.

I thought he said three quarters, which was correct wasn’t it?

Edit: He said “he didn’t play a full game tonight”. I thought that was correct and he played 3 quarters?

Stewart has failed/not been given the opportunity to demonstrate he can be a fill-in ruck, especially at centre bounces.

That worries me.

He did it a few times against Geelong, with mixed success in Q2 and none in the second half. But I agree I don’t think he started in there very much at all.

Solid hit out but I wouldn’t play him Round 1… too much risk and we need 22 fit players if we are to be successful. Already going to take Hooker in a little underdone… you would have to be careful throwing TBell in as well.

I reckon they could even hold him back to Round 3… depending on training loads etc etc.

3 Likes

The only reason we are considering an under-prepared TBell is that we are worried that McKernan is not good enough. If correct then we would have 2 ruckman who are not ready/not good enough.
Woosha might play 2 rucks if and when they are both fit, firing and in form.
McKernan gets the gig against Hawks and Joey will have to provide back-up. We need the extra spot for a midflder who can run out the game. Otherwise our fade out will start half way through the pre-game warm up.

1 Like

ROLL THE DICE

1 Like

We played Jamar on one leg last year FFS. And how long does it actually take to get ‘fit’ if you’ve been in the AFL system as long as this bloke.

Bring him in.

Tom had a cleanout,of his knee. There was either some loose tissue in there or a torn meniscus or both. That was 2 month ago. Now, its not that he is injured, its that he is not match fit. He has been playing in intraclub hit outs for some time and they have been able to evaluate his form…They could roll the dice on him if they can workaround his loadings. Lets wait to Thursday and find out how conservative they are with selection in the season proper.

12 Likes

Bellchambers has always been a liability when not at 100 percent, remember 2015? I wouldn’t be playing him, mckernan will do a better job around the ground round 1 and has been good in the practice matches.

7 Likes

This is 2017 Bully. I haven’t asked every one but I dont believe anyone suggests not playing SMack and putting TBell in his place. This is really an issue of the 3rd tall forward ( vs Stewart) and ruck options.at centre bounces where SMack can be a serious liability against some opponents

In fairness to Tom, he played injured and unfit (probably about 50% fitness at best) for the 2014 elimination final, where he managed to give Ryder a small chop out, provide a target up forward and even kicked an important goal. He was ok, all things considered.

He was struggling in 2015 and wasn’t helped by the fact that his only reprieve in the ruck was 2 minutes of Ambrose.

It would be a disaster to play him solo ruck, but he might offer more overall than Stewart in the same role.

2 Likes

He wont play. Smack will and Smack deserves too. He was very, very good last week, you just cant ruck him for too long or he becomes tired and a liability (brain fades kick in). Id be running Smack 50%, Stewart 30%, and Dana 20% for plan A.

I will also add if Dana is killing it up fwd he stays there. If he is struggling to get into the game give him a few mins in the ruck. Same goes for Stewart.

Rotating 3 rucks through the center will really give the hawks something to think about and be a huge task for Mc avoy. All 3 are a lot more agile and should be looking to run off Mc avoy to create options. Does’t matter how bad we loose the hitouts, just compete hard enough to keep Mc Avoys hit out to advantage to a minimum, and destroy him around the ground.

3 Likes

BEACH COMB’N

2 Likes

Running three ordinary rucks won’t bother McEvoy in the slightest. He also has Vickery to ruck some minutes for him, so I don’t see how running 2 key forwards through the ruck is going to cause them any concerns at all.

It may be too early to bring TBell in, and we may just end up going Mckernan and Stewart in the ruck, but let’s not pretend there is some advantage to doing that. The old ‘get em around the ground’ thing is just a myth.

2 Likes