#20 Jackson “Jerrett” Merrett

I think he’s pretty line and length. Not terrible, but eeehhhh

Line and length is about right which makes him light-years better than some of the plodders we’ve carried over the last decade

1 Like

Glenn McGrath was line and length and not much else. And he took 500 test wickets…

This bloke isn’t even Scott Muller by comparison…

2 Likes

Pretty sure Jerret has been named in the emergencies a couple of times, so probably not that far off.

Interesting to see how he goes, there’s a good chance he will be delisted (IMO) and if he can’t get a game in a middle of the ladder (or worse) team I can’t see any other team picking him up.

Personally I’d like to see him have a few more games to see if he can prove most observers wrong and show that he belongs at the top level. He’s kind of decent at most things but he has never really taken off.

Most of his games have been the sort of performances where if he was playing his first 5 games we’d think he showed a lot but he’s never really shown any attributes that make you think “we need that in our team and we can’t get it anywhere else”. I’m not even sure who he would be in competition with (that’s in the side), the small forwards have him covered and I’d reckon Stanton & Howlett & Colyer do to.

Blind idiocy.

Well that just makes his 500 wickets even more meritorious.

2 Likes

Is he light years better? Or the exact type that looks good when there’s good clearance players feeding it out and good targets working to present? And when one it’s all a bit off you just go… ehhh… what was the point of this guy again??, when we could pick someone who offers either hardness at the contest or real pace or whatever else

Either way I reckon Jerrett’s cut from much the same cloth
I could see him getting games elsewhere

Nah it was the Freo game in Perth where he got a line put through his name. Blind panicked kicks time after time. Same game where Edwards played back and did the same. And not to be confused with the Adelaide game where Hams had the line through his name after he coudn’t pick the ball up or make basic 25m passes.

2 Likes

Personally i think it was both games. The bloke hear footsteps, & for an outside player, his disposal is ordinary to say the least.

They’ll give him a few games at the end of the year to fatten him up for market. Not sure there’ll be any buyers.

His disposal in the VFL is good. Reminds me of Ricky Dyson as he stands out as one of the better kicks in the team. I’m not sure if the backline experiment is working. If
he swapped back in to the forward line for Redman it may give both renewed hope.

He has a lot of good skills, he is well balanced, has an accurate snap shot and is good outside. He will become a really good player in another team imo. We are not now and never have got the best from him.

Redman is already playing off the HB, so that swap isn’t available. Not that it matters, Jerrett isn’t a forward so if they don’t rate him as a winger trying him off the HB was fair enough.

I guess it depends how many rookie spots Brisbane has spare.

1 Like

Brisbane? Don’t you mean Essington?

2 Likes

Oh, don’t…

3 Likes

You’re his manager aren’t you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haha! Nah. He is just one of those players that moves really well. Its funny what someone was saying above because I really liked Ricky Dyson as well. Thought he was one of the few in our team at the time who could hit a target.

They have a plan for Jackson & his future, and from what I’ve heard, although not as quickly as would be preferable, …it would seem he is so far ticking off the boxes

4 Likes

Can you expand on that?