#20 Jackson “Jerrett” Merrett

It happened yesterday to Goddard. No point mucking about. Maybe this is all a part of a new ruthlessness. Usually we are among the last to delist.

1 Like

If the saga doesn’t come along maybe he is developed in a proper environment and is better for it. Hypotheticals are easy.

1 Like

Always looked a bi timid in terms of confidence and what his role was, when to go, here to stand. Good luck to him for the future. An obvious call for the club to make. Making the right moves, asap is a good sign.

Good on you Jerrett, you got a lot closer than I ever did. I thought you were there after that Carlton game, sorry that the confidence didn’t stay with you.

Maybe you can take a seat next to Darcy D and give your younger brothers a hard time from the stands.

6 Likes

Agree. Always thought that Jerrett had all the attributes to become a successful boundary umpire.

2 Likes

Whoever is saying he didn’t make it need some perspective. Bloke played +50 AFL games over 7x seasons and probably has a house or two out of it and gained skills and contacts that will assist him in life going forward. He’s done brilliantly.

4 Likes

Don’t think anyone is doubting he’s done well for himself.

He spent 3-4 years on the list too many but I wish him well in the future.

3 Likes

And that’s the thing “He spent 3-4 years on the list too many”. Too many for who?

Too many to establish himself as a regular player in the senior team. When he couldn’t crack it for a game in 2016 with all the top up players brought in, then it was time to move him on.

2 Likes

But how do you know what the club’s plan with him was? So when you say “too many”, you mean too many years for your liking?

2 Likes

Nor for my liking. l would not have given him a new contract 2 years ago. If the club had plans for him, they would have played him. They didn’t. End of story.

4 Likes

The plans might have been something along the lines of, “ok-ish player who is well liked and respected amongst the playing group and can provide some depth if push comes to shove. And if he’s a late bloomer then sweet but if not then oh well.”

If that’s our approach to list management, it’s no wonder we haven’t won a final in a decade.

6 Likes

Ok-ish shouldn’t cut it after anything more than 3 years. Good luck to Jackson for the future, but our list is improved immediately by his departure.

2 Likes

Thought we missed a trick in 2016 when we hardly played him in the seniors despite missing most of our senior squad. He got dropped early on and sent back to the VFL for some reason even though he looked to have improved considerably on the previous year. Woosha must have been setting an example by sending him back to the VFL to work on things but it clearly didn’t work. Think he would have been better off playing the whole year in the AFL to gain experience. Must have killed his confidence as he never really returned to any type of good form bar the VFL period prior to his broken leg.

1 Like

All the best, Jacko.

Would love to keep him around in the VFL if he’s willing - his class really shines at that level and he’s been a great leader for the younger blokes coming through.

1 Like

Take this in the spirit it is intended but how would you know anything about him in order to justify that comment? You don’t go to training, meetings, games or anything. You actually have no idea what’s going on and judge his worth from 1000’s of kms away.

But you know that is our approach to list management right?

Last comment on this as l don’t want to repeat myself. If Jackson was worth playing he would have gotten more games. Simples. Multiple coaches have seen fit not to select him, and replays showed he didn’t get involved as much as he needed to in order to keep his place.

And don’t think able to win enough contested footy. You can’t just be a receiver in the modern game.