#20 Jackson Merrett

Well all I know is that if Jacko is selected I will hope he has a great game and kicks on. If someone else gets the gig, my reaction for them will be just the same. Whoever plays, I wish them well.

33 Likes

Essence as a Platonic ideal
Platonic philosophy attempted to capture essence in a different way. Plato thought what we see in the physical world is a dim reflection of the true ideal thing. For example circular objects are crude approximations to the ideal perfect circle. Platonic analysis aims to understand the physical world in terms of the ideals that capture the real essence that is dimly reflected in physical existence.

http://www.mtnmath.com/whatth/node7.html

I think this level of abstract thought should be encouraged on blitz, thanks @SplitRound

4 Likes

I was just expecting something about gadgets.

Anyway, Jackson Merrett. Best of luck to him.

1 Like

Bonus points for referencing platonic ideals!

Edit: beaten by SCarey.

1 Like

I agree. There are multiple examples of it (I’m getting a bit tired of everyone citing Richmond, but you can’t deny the truth of it).

Unfortunately, Jackson has been in the position of having enough talent, but being unable to do enough of the other stuff (pressure, contest, tackle etc) since early in his career. If he can do it now, I will be rapt.
But I’m not holding my breath.

That’s a little too difficult a concept for some to understand.

2 Likes

Crazy how he is still on our list considering he couldn’t get a game in the firsts in 2016.
Really bizarre.
I wonder what the actual logic was behind it

1 Like

Maybe they thought he could still improve

1 Like

Logic.

I’m on board. We need more runners against the pies I can see the…logic.

He’s been an emergency nearly every week this year. He’s going to get a game at some point, so let’s get behind him when he does, instead of sooking about the fact that he’s not Zach, which is not something he has any control over.

3 Likes

BRING HIM IN

Pop him on a wing/half forward at the G

30 disposals
3+ goals

FREAK SHOW

people will fear the merret brothers

2 Likes

One of my favourite moments was when an opposition player started roughing up Jackson. First year Zach charged over and crunched into him, so the guy went after Zach, only for Jackson to come at him again. There was an “oh ■■■■” moment as it dawned on the guy that he had to deal with both Merretts, was brilliant.

9 Likes

Jackson may well be the luckiest bloke on an AFL list but in terms of balance he is our best bet. The grog squad Merrett chant will be better for his return. “Jacko, Jacko, Jacko, Jacko, Jacko, Jacko, Jacko Merrett”

Wishing you all the best Jackson if you get the call up.

In 2016 we were needing the older players to have bigger bodies to support the younger players who we were developing. We weren’t exactly trying to win the premiership that year, and what Jackson brought to the table perhaps wasn’t what we were after in the circumstances. Just a theory, pick it to pieces if you will.

Another point is that Jackson is probably the sort of player you will look to cover a temporary hole, and then go out when Raz is available again. Where if you were strategically blooding a young player you would be looking at giving them more of a go in an ongoing slot in the team (eg. Matt Guelfi, Fridge).

This year we are 6th on the injury ladder for clubs who have lost the most games from their AFL listed players to injury with 23 games lost, and that isn’t including games lost to suspension in Long, McKenna and Ambrose. This means we are having to find players beyond Raz, McKenna, Colyer, McNiece, Mutch, Long, Laverde, Dea and Gleeson who either out, aren’t match ready or had time to find form and fitness. Not all these players are directly interchangeable, but conceivably could have been included before Jerrett if they were available or hadn’t had interrupted preparations.

This means that we are looking past the top 30 players on the list to make this selection, and this will be further stretched when we are looking for fresh players to cover the cracks when we back up for the Melbourne match four days later.

This is definitely a time we are looking to our depth players, particularly those who can run and apply forward defensive pressure. In the next 2 weeks anybody who is reasonably ready to go, will probably get a crack.

7 Likes

Good luck to him. I still reckon he is a better option than green.

1 Like

Very comfortable with Jackson having a set shot at goal. Good kick.

2 Likes

I can’t remember the last time i was this excited for an inclusion.

THE FORGOTTEN MAN.

I’ve absolutely unloaded on Jackson Merrett to win the ANZAC Medal at 101.00
Pretty much free money

Merrett to kick 3 and have 28 disposals.
This man loves the MCG,
Loves the big stage.
GET AROUND HIM

15 Likes

He’s never had 28 disposals in a season!!

2 Likes

He once has 33 in a game. I know because I brought him straight into my supercoach team. Awesome decision that turned out to be…

5 Likes