#20 Zac “Zed Clackers” Clarke - you’re cut

Haha. Perfect clarity from the AFL, as usual.

So this is happening, not happening, what?

Who knows? Club has said nothing, but I think it’s very likely.

1 Like

Media keeps indicating it’s been done

As per Campbell to North

Just been no official release and probably won’t be until it actually does during relevant timeframe

3 Likes

I don’t get the new drafting period and rules.

Nothing can be formally announced until December 1.
Expect a list of names and teams next Monday.

AFAIK…
From Dec 1 to Mar 1 (I think that’s the date)is the period teams can sign anyone if there is a rookie list spot available. By Mar 1, there should be a few LTIs so I wouldn’t be surprised if there are a few that get signed later on during JLT.

Then you have to wait until mid season (date not determined) if you have a list spot or LTIs to be part of the mid year draft.

This is happening. The new period is in place so clubs can cover unexpected retirements (Leuenberger) or long term injured players before the start of next season. If Zac Clarke went into the rookie draft another club might have picked him up. This way we can add him to our list without risking another club stealing him. Players have to be eligible for this kind of selection and he ticks the boxes. The AFL has already given it the green light.

Richmond is trying to list Sydney stack the same way which to me isn’t in the spirit of the rule.

6 Likes

Cant they just nominate to take him in the Pre-Season draft anyway?

People will get annoyed by this but the fact is every club in the league could have taken him for peanuts and they all passed. Even with rookie selections nobody would touch him. If Richmond want to try to fix him then good luck to them.

9 Likes

PSD is between main draft and rookie draft - it’s done

(I think)

Exactly

What’s changed since last friday?

1 Like

So, draftee changes name by deed poll.

Enters draft.

Leaves country and remains out of contact.

Doesn’t get picked up in draft because nobody knows who he is.

Walks to club of choice.

Seems about as fair as what Sydney pulled off.

1 Like

Don’t worry, you are not alone. l am not convinced that anyone gets all the new rules. They are about as clear as mud.

1 Like

Whiskas?

2 Likes

The first part I can see merits of

The second is such a kent act for lower leagues losing their top players in middle of season

2 Likes

Could have met with him again. Maybe they liked him, but had other ND targets and needs and thought there was no chance he’d make it to the RD. When he fell through maybe they thought “sh*t, has he a massive ‘issue’ that we don’t know about?”. So they passed, meet up with him again and were happy he was good to go?

I thought there was going to be compensation for lower league teams? Maybe it will be “worth their while”.

Of course the players have to specifically nominate, so perhaps litter league players will have contract clauses either allowing our preventing nomination, which factor into the initial contact value.

Ha. So when he turns up day 1 of pre season and it turns out that Sammi Walsho was actually Sam Walsh…pretty sure the AFL will find something to ban player.

Also players that nominate for the draft have to have played in one of the specific leagues, so going to be pretty tough to pull off Sammi Walsho sitting on the bench in some comp to qualify without linking the names.

And Fine Cotton worked so well for Robbie Waterhouse