2013 Draft, the draft where we struck gold

1. bont 2. cripps 3. zerrett 4. rampe 5. lobb 6. kelly 7. curnow 8. brown 9. razz 10. mcgovern 11. lloyd 12. sicily 13. jones

I think you under valued rampe. Best lock down small/medium defender in the game.

I don’t see why Rampe and Curnow should be on the list anyway. They were part of the previous years draft. A rookie elevation doesn’t make it your draft year.

Looking at Zach V Bontempelli's 2016 stats is interesting:

Merrett Name Bontempelli

16 Games 16
14.8 Kicks Per Game 10.7
14.0 Handballs Per Game 13.9
28.8 Disposals Per Game 24.6
5.0 Marks Per Game 3.2
0.4 Goals Per Game 1.0
0.3 Behinds Per Game 0.6
6.9 Tackles Per Game 4.4
0 Hitouts Per Game 2.1
4.6 Inside 50s Per Game 4.3
0.5 Goal Assists Per Game 0.4
1.2 Frees For Per Game 1.4
0.5 Frees Against Per Game 0.8
10.3 Contested Pos. Per Game 12.2
19.1 Uncon. Poss Per Game 13.3
20.2 Effective Disposals Per Game 16.9
70.1% Effective Disposals % Per Game 68.7%
2.8 Clangers Per Game 2.7
0.1 Contested Marks Per Game 0.5
0.1 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 0.8
3.9 Clearances Per Game 4.5
1.9 Rebound 50s Per Game 1.1
1.6 One Percenters Per Game 2.1
0.1 Bounces Per Game 0.2
79.9 Time On Ground % Per Game 83.1

I was expecting a much great disparity (in Bontempelli’s favour) in the contested possession category, but to see that Zach has only about 2 less CP’s per game, whilst also averaging about 6 UP’s more is extremely impressive. The fact he is averaging almost 7 tackles per game is absolutely staggering.

By any measure, this kid, who is only 20 yrs old, is an absolute gun.

Obviously Bontempelli is making a name for himself as a bit of a ‘clutch’ player, but I reckon the gap between 1st and 2nd is a lot closer than most people probably think.

I have said it before. All i see is 0 hitouts

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Merrets better.

We all know that the pick we got for Crameri’s became Zerrett, but it was lost on me until now that the pick we got for Gumby became Raz.

We may have struck gold with those two picks, but given the strength of the draft and how many good players were picked 50+, the Edwards/Aylett trade is looking terrible.

Our actual first picks, after the one we got for Crammers, was number 48 which we traded to GWS (which they didn’t even use) was for Edwards and Aylett. The third best player from that draft that we still have is Paddy Ambrose (rookie pick 26).

If Shred goes at the end of the year we will only have Zerrett, Raz and Rambose from all the picks and trades that year.

Gone are Aylett, Dalgliesh (rookie elevation with pick 64), Chapman (nominally traded for pick 84), Fraser Thurlow (rookie pick 9) and Johnny Rayner (rookie pick 41 - category B ).

So unless Shred can do a Lazarus with a double bypass, the only player we got out of the 2013 draft which wasn’t traded for a pick for a player that left was Paddy Ambrose, virtually our last pick.

So we have to thank Crammers and Gumby for most of the gold we struck.

If I remember correctly, we were going to trade Crameri and our first pick (or 2nd? Before the sanctions) to the bulldogs for pick 4 where we rated bontempelli as the best midfielder in the comp. McCartney was coach for the doggies at the time after leaving us and was up for it, then we copped the sanctions and got 26 for Crameri where we plucked zmerret.

This is the same kurnow as the one at carlton yeah? Has he really improved alot in the last 8 weeks because from everything I saw of him he was complete rubbish.

If I remember correctly, we were going to trade Crameri and our first pick (or 2nd? Before the sanctions) to the bulldogs for pick 4 where we rated bontempelli as the best midfielder in the comp. McCartney was coach for the doggies at the time after leaving us and was up for it, then we copped the sanctions and got 26 for Crameri where we plucked zmerret.
That's what I thought. Doubt we would have got both merret and Bont, hindsight though.

Zerrett and Lobb IMO is the best player in their draft. Bont is surrounded with a better 22 which leads to better opportunities to stat pad a little. Zerrett is carrying us in the guts and still has better numbers than Bont. Lobb is a freak, reminds me of Hooker.

Billings, don’t know what happens to him but seems to have ■■■■ defensive side to his game, I heard he got dropped for a couple of weeks to fix those issues. Cripps is pretty good and IMO the closes to Zach and Lobb. Boyd is average, Sheeds is good but no Zach, Kelly is developing nicely and atm isn’t as good as Zach.

That's what I thought. Doubt we would have got both merret and Bont, hindsight though.
Yeah I remember an article in the Herald sun about it. Anyway could you imagine if we did pluck those two? Wowie!
Zerrett and Lobb IMO is the best player in their draft. Bont is surrounded with a better 22 which leads to better opportunities to stat pad a little. Zerrett is carrying us in the guts and still has better numbers than Bont. Lobb is a freak, reminds me of Hooker.

Billings, don’t know what happens to him but seems to have ■■■■ defensive side to his game, I heard he got dropped for a couple of weeks to fix those issues. Cripps is pretty good and IMO the closes to Zach and Lobb. Boyd is average, Sheeds is good but no Zach, Kelly is developing nicely and atm isn’t as good as Zach.

Bont is pretty damn good at winning his own footy without any padding of stats.

Bont is pretty damn good at winning his own footy without any padding of stats.

Agree, people need to get a reality check when rating players from other teams. Bont is a future superstar!

It’s clear that losing Crameri, Ryder and Carlisle has been a blessing. It forced us to make a trade for decent draft picks which we needed.

In someways it was a positive as we didn’t need to make tough decisions to pull draft picks.

It's clear that losing Crameri, Ryder and Carlisle has been a blessing. It forced us to make a trade for decent draft picks which we needed.

In someways it was a positive as we didn’t need to make tough decisions to pull draft picks.

True, but all three were valuable players in their own right. Carslile really hurt despite who we got in return. The other two I feel we got screwed from a return perspective, but fortunately jackets recruited well.

It's clear that losing Crameri, Ryder and Carlisle has been a blessing. It forced us to make a trade for decent draft picks which we needed.

True, but all three were valuable players in their own right. Carslile really hurt despite who we got in return. The other two I feel we got screwed from a return perspective, but fortunately jackets recruited well.

True trade / draft pick number wise we didn’t do great, but Crameri / Ryder equal Z.Merrett & Langford or Laverde (you don’t know which they would have picked given only 1 draft pick in that range!

What hurt us more was losing draft picks to sanctions from AFL.

True trade / draft pick number wise we didn’t do great, but Crameri / Ryder equal Z.Merrett & Langford or Laverde (you don’t know which they would have picked given only 1 draft pick in that range!

What hurt us more was losing draft picks to sanctions from AFL.

Yep, without them we might have had Bonts and Zerrett

That is only in the context of a club going through the saga. Who knows where we finish on the ladder in 2014 with Crameri in the side. Do we win one (or more) finals? If Ryder is fully switched on for the finals as well? With no saga and finals in 2013 & 2014, does 2015 actually become a good year?

Either way we would have had to rebuild at the end of the period as Stanton/Goddard/Watson/Bags/Demps all got older and Fletch/Winders/Davey retired. Given that, we’re better positioned with the youngsters. Although that said, we blew pick #37 from the Ryder deal, and Langford and Francis are no certainties yet. Francis is a #6 draft pick after all, and we know the curse on those.

And all of that could be considered as merely offsetting the sanctions. Imagine we’d had the extra three picks we should have in addition to the current kids. Really sucks that.