2015 Essendon India Initiative vs 2016 Port Adelaide ^ AFL China venture

We have been gazumped.

Last year we started an Indian initiative. It seems to have died , and had xxxxxx all AFL support tbh.
This is bad.
Indians love Australia and Australian sportsmen, love sport, love watching sport on TV, and yet now Port has taken the initiative, with the PM, and Gillon proposing the “Shanghai game”

IMO the AFL have picked a loser in conjunction with a loser club.

1 Like

Maybe they need more laptops?

who gives a ■■■■

2 Likes

What do I need to do to win you over Ben, you know I love Demps, ( you have probably even seen me enjoying a drink socially with Demps recently) Jake L., Yesty, Alex Morgan, and Gwilt. oops did I forget someone?

Port can GAGF.

1 Like

This is bullshit. We’ve been supporting the Chinese peptide industry for years and they give this to Port?

What do I need to do to win you over Ben, you know I love Demps, ( you have probably even seen me enjoying a drink socially with Demps recently) Jake L., Yesty, Alex Morgan, and Gwilt. oops did I forget someone?
Needs more TIPPA?

too many laptop peanut

Really the AFL, teaming with a crap brand like Port Adelaide. What are they thinking ? Is it because that scion of South Australian royalty, Gillon is driving it?

Really the AFL, teaming with a crap brand like Port Adelaide. What are they thinking ? Is it because that scion of South Australian royalty, Gillon is driving it?
It's because no big clubs would give up playing in front of a crowd of 60k to go to China and play in front of 20k.

If the AFL want this to become successful, they’d send the Bulldogs or North there to play the Power. An attractive quick brand of offensive footy will be played and the loss in crowd numbers won’t be impacted on significantly.

This will go as well as the V8 supercars push into China…

ie - won’t.

Going to Beijing would be nice for us to get some cleaner air

2 Likes

I heard on channel 7 last night a couple of clubs looking at india? Surely we have to be one of them! Could be heaps of $$$$

I don’t mind us looking at it.

1 Like

Richmond and GWS I’ve heard

It won’t come to anything, but at least India has grounds the right size and shape for the sport.

Strange - Certain that Essendon and Adelaide both have links to India !

So we both do. We were the first to announce plans, but “strangely” a proposal involving the Giants is getting preference.

on June 23 last year this article about the an EFC vs Adelaide pre season match proposal was announced:

First China, now India? Dons and Crows plan overseas clash
Ryan Davidson
Jun 23, 2017

FOLLOWING Port Adelaide’s foray into China, Essendon and Adelaide are looking to play a pre-season match in India.

Essendon chief executive Xavier Campbell said the joint initiative with the Crows was an opportunity to increase participation and engagement with the Indian community and grow the game in a country with a population of 1.3 billion.

Australia has around 400,000 people living in the country with Indian backgrounds.

“It’s a different way to look at growing the game and we believe in working closely with Adelaide and the AFL [so] we can best position ourselves to make a significant impact,” Campbell told Newscorp.

"We have seen positive growth in the Indian community participating in our Auskick and community programs, attending our games and signing up as members.

"We believe the time is right to increase the scope and intensity of our commitment.

“Although our discussions with Adelaide have not been built on the prospect of playing home and away football abroad, there is the opportunity to consider an exhibition or pre-season game in India.”

To help launch the venture, the Bombers will host the Crows in an India-themed round 21 encounter, that will feature Hindi and Punjabi commentary teams.

Then 1 day later on June 24 the Richmond GWS clash was mooted:

1 Like

No point playing for points in India.
Preseason clash would do.

Similar to Die hard Manchester United/Liverpool fans would watch a friendly in AUS, probably not a change in number for fans.

Same as if Cleveland Caverliers, played Philadelphia 76ers in a preseason match would be sold out to watch ben simmons and Le Bron. doesnt need to interrupt the NBA season.

1 Like